DescriptionTitle: Senior Software Developer
Category: Exempt, Contingent II (Contract)
Department: Digital Systems and Stewardship
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription coverage
The University of Maryland (UMD) Libraries are seeking a dynamic individual to serve as Senior Software Developer on a growing development team, providing broad programming support and technical leadership to the UMD Libraries across a wide range of services, including web site delivery, content management, digital collections, digital preservation, enterprise infrastructure, and research software. These services support both the UMD Libraries and the broader University of Maryland research and learning communities.
The Libraries primary application delivery platform is the Java Enterprise technology stack running on RedHat Enterprise Linux virtual machines, using open source software such as Hippo CMS, DSpace, Fedora Commons Repository, and Kuali OLE. The incumbent will support applications like these across the software development and support lifecycle, as well as other technologies, including commercial and locally developed applications. The Senior Software Developer may also participate in development of Ruby on Rails and Hydra applications for our digital collections.
The University of Maryland Libraries serve more than 37,500 students and 4,200 faculty at the University System of Maryland’s flagship campus and constitute the largest university library system in the Washington D.C./Baltimore area. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Recent membership in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, a robust organization of Big Ten member institutions, is particularly meaningful to the University Libraries and will further propel the university’s ascendancy in academic excellence.
- Software Development: application programming in support of locally developed applications and integration with open source, commercial and production software
- Project Lead: provide project oversight and leadership; manage issues, assignments, and sprints; personnel mentoring
- Software Architecture: recommend and implement high-level design choices and technical standards
- Technology Research: research new tools and technologies, including applications, standards, languages, and frameworks
- Bachelor’s degree plus seven years programming experience
- Experience creating web applications using a web application framework
- Experience using software development tools for version control, build and dependency management, and integrated development
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use multiple programming languages and frameworks
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/40055 . Local candidates are encouraged to apply; no relocation assistance will be provided. You must be legally able to work in the United States. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until February 22, 2016.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC