Created: January 19, 2016
Cadence Group Greenbelt0 other recent jobs
DescriptionCadence Group seeks a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative individual for a full-time Metadata Librarian position. The successful candidate will have experience creating and maintaining metadata, a solid knowledge of established and emerging metadata standards, strong technical aptitude, and the ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-oriented environment.
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for collecting, preserving, and presenting digital information in all formats, applying indexing and metadata, and maintaining the Library's bibliographic and archival databases. This includes metadata application, authority control, quality control, and other duties associated with the creation and maintenance of item- and collection-level data for a variety of print and digital materials.
As a member of the Electronic Library Systems Team, the Metadata Librarian reports to the Team Lead and works independently as well as with teammates, library colleagues, patrons, and community partners to develop and provide access to information and materials that support the scientific and engineering research needs of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
• Employs emerging metadata schemas to make library resources available to our patrons.
Designs and maintains repository collections using the Fedora Commons architecture.
• Adds digital images, video, multimedia and other formats to the intuitional repository using XML metadata.
• Plans migration of the Institutional Repository's records from Fedora 3 to Fedora 4 and collaborates with Systems Team on design of new repository site.
• Assures the quality of cataloging and metadata records in the ILS and Institutional Repository.
• Performs original and copy cataloging for a wide range of formats, including serials, non-print materials, and e-resources, using traditional cataloging principles and practices to input records into OCLC and the local ILS, SirsiDynix Symphony.
• Stays abreast of new developments relevant to metadata, cataloging, and digitization.
• Serves as a resource person concerning metadata, database maintenance, record loading, workflow issues, cataloging, and classification.
• Maintains statistics and produces monthly reports.
• Master’s degree in library/information science, archives, or other relevant field from an accredited program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of file formats, media migration, metadata, database management, and digitization techniques.
• Knowledge of and recent experience with established and emerging national and international standards relating to metadata and classification.
• Experience with XML, RDF, and one or more metadata schemas (Dublin Core, MADS, MODS, METS, EAD) and tools (XSLT, XQuery, SQL, SPARQL, OAI/PMH, etc.).
• Experience with a repository system such as Fedora Commons and an XML editor such as Oxygen.
• Knowledge of Drupal or similar content management systems.
• Knowledge of electronic and traditional cataloging standards (AACR2R, LC classification, LCSH, MARC formats) and familiarity with RDA and FRBR.
• Experience cataloging book and non-book formats in an automated environment using OCLC and an ILS, such as SirsiDynix Symphony.
• Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC