Junior Software Developer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
Created: January 5, 2016
BC Libraries Cooperative Vancouver0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing several high availability services to members across Canada. The Co-op uses primarily open source tools and contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The Co-op is hiring a full-time (35 hours/week) Junior Developer to work as a member of our Sitka and EvergreenTM support team. This is a partial telecommute opportunity; residency in Greater Vancouver area, British Columbia is required for start date.
As Junior Developer, the successful applicant will primarily support the Evergreen™ open ILS and related software, hardware and network solutions for Co-op members. Specific duties include: maintaining and enhancing Evergreen™ and associated systems; developing and deploying solutions to support member staff and end-users; documentation, troubleshooting and bug fixes; and working collaboratively with developers in the North American Evergreen™ community.
The ideal candidate brings the strongest possible combination of knowledge and experience with the following core skills:
- Linux operating systems;
- Relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL);
Experience with the following will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge of library-specific standards including SIP2, MARC, and EDI;
- Experience with PHP, WordPress, Drupal, DNS and Puppet.
- Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics, or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered;
- 1-3 years of increasingly responsible related experience is required;
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely;
- Ability to manage stress;
- A sense of humour;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location).
What we offer:
- Flexibility. While the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is primarily a virtual office opportunity for the right candidate. Most of the Co-op staff work remotely, using the Vancouver office for regular or occasional face-to-face meet-ups.
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- This position is a full-time, limited term employment position with the option for renewal and/or permanent employee status (budget dependent).
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com no later than 1600 Pacific Time, February 1, 2016.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 22:52 UTC