DescriptionThe BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing several high availability services to members across Canada. The Co-op uses primarily open source tools and contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The Co-op is hiring a part-time (18 hours/week) System Administrator to work as a member of our Systems Operations Team. This is a partial telecommute opportunity; residency in Greater Vancouver area, British Columbia is required for start date.
As a member of a dedicated technical and support team, this position will be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the Co-op’s technical infrastructure. Must understand a team’s obligations in providing 24×7 support.
The position requires the following core skills:
- Minimum of two years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian preferred;
- Experience managing server hardware;
- Experience writing documentation and communicating technical information clearly and concisely;
- Experience managing Apache;
- Familiarity with RDBMS (either PostgreSQL or MySQL);
- Configuration management solutions (e.g. Puppet).
Experience with the following will be considered an asset:
- Virtualization systems, especially Ganeti
- Distributed object storage systems (e.g. CEPH)
- Perl programming and Bash scripting
- Any of Icinga/nagios, git, FreePBX
- Experience working in or with library organizations
- Participation in open source projects
Competencies and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered;
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely;
- Ability to manage stress;
- A sense of humour;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location).
What we offer:
- Flexibility. While the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is primarily a virtual office opportunity for the right candidate. Most of the Co-op staff work remotely, using the Vancouver office for regular or occasional face-to-face meet-ups.
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- This position is envisioned as a fixed-term service contract with the option for renewal and/or limited term employee status (budget dependent).
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1600 Pacific Time, February 19, 2016.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC