Special Projects Lead
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology — Thual
0 other recent jobs
Created: December 15, 2015
The successful Special Projects Lead works closely with the Library Director to
advance the Library through completing strategic projects which typically
require a hands-on understanding of library technology with a clear vision for
library service development. The scope of projects handled by this position
vary from administrative (assisting with vendor negotiations, for example) to
highly technical (piloting leading or bleeding edge technologies, for example).
In general, work in this area focuses on providing support for strategic
initiatives that are not easily met wholly within the operational units in the
University Library and which may require deep collaboration with individuals
and offices across KAUST. Projects may originate with or respond to current Library needs or may result from University or Library strategic planning.
This position requires excellent communication skills and the ability to
manage teams, lead projects, and partner with students, staff, faculty, and
corporate partners. This position is part of the Library’s management
-Work closely with the Library Director to identify strategic areas for growth, change and adjustment in the organization. Provide support for and consultation on strategic planning, including annual review and revision of the ITS strategic plan. Actively review our strategic priorities and work with the organization to adjust priorities and resource allocation as needed.
- Provide support to the Library Director and library management for new initiatives and projects. This work may involve administrative, technology development, and/or logistical support components.
- Provide liaison-like service to units within the library and across campus for special project initiatives. This work may involve consulting, application development, and/or information brokerage services. The duration of these services can range from weeks to months, depending on the nature of the project(s).
- Build small teams and manage projects to research, test, and assess evolving or innovative information technologies Test, install, and evaluate a variety of applications to ensure they meet expectations and adhere to university standards. Create and/or edit programs to improve and/or integrate existing systems and applications. If appropriate, work with staff to transfer newly developed applications from development to production environments and establish support practices.
- Research new developments and make recommendations for best practices in library and information technologies and maintain current awareness of trends and issues relative to library information technology and supported applications.
- Participate in a variety of meetings related to information strategies and development at KAUST and serve as proxy for the Library Director as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Demonstrated technical experience in at least one IT domain, e.g. system administration, web services, programming.
Non-Technical Skills or Attributes
Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, to set and meet deadlines, and to adapt to new and changing situations, priorities and technologies; excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, organization, and problem-solving skills; ability and desire to work with diverse groups of individuals including students, staff and faculty; strong initiative and ability to function independently and as a contributing member of a team.
BA/BS (computer science or related field preferred) or equivalent education and experience.
Preferred: MLS or MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited program and/or advanced degree in subject discipline
Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in library and technology project management at least 5 years working with data-source driven applications
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC