Director Maps Imagery and Geospatial Services
Created: December 7, 2015
Arizona State University Tempe0 other recent jobs
DescriptionDirector Maps Imagery and Geospatial Services
Campus/Location Campus: Tempe
Department Name Cyberinfrastructure Services
Salary Range $53,350 - $140,650 per year; DOE
Close Date 31-December-2015
Under direction of the Associate University Librarian for Research and Development, defines and manages implementation of the Libraries’ vision for the unit by promoting scholarly engagement between the Libraries and faculty, researchers, and students through acquisition and use of cartographic and geospatial information to support efforts that create new knowledge, entrepreneurial and learning opportunities.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the unit; continually adjusts work to respond to current research and technological development
- Works collaborative with programmers, librarians, metadata specialists and other staff within the Libraries’ Research & Development area to design, build, implement and maintain a geospatial data discovery system
- Supervises Instruction Specialists’ delivery of training to faculty, students and staff in locating and using maps, imagery and geospatial data as part of research activities
- Provides maps, imagery and geospatial data support for planned ASU Libraries Digital Scholarship Center
- Develops and delivers workshops for cartographic resources, geospatial data resources, and GIS technology
- Conducts outreach to faculty and researchers to increase awareness and use of the Libraries’ maps, imagery and geospatial data collections
- Consults with faculty and students on research projects utilizing maps, imagery and/or geospatial data, tools, and analytical methods; provides expert consultation services on varying research needs
- Oversees the design and management of the ASU Libraries’ geospatial web pages; provides access for users to download GIS software and online classes.
- Collaborates with stakeholders on initiatives to develop spatial data delivery environments and geospatial information management systems to ensure ongoing and evolving needs are met.
- Works consultatively and in conjunction with the Associate University Librarian for Academic programs, develops, implements and evaluates a comprehensive data acquisition and collection management plan
- Manages digitization projects for maps and aerial photographs to provide online access to users; continually builds and maintains maps, imagery and geospatial data collections
- Maintains current awareness of geospatial data, maps and imagery availability; assesses needs of ASU faculty and students to prepare recommendations for maps and geospatial resources
- Works closely and collaboratively with metadata librarians and other professional staff to build, maintain and improve infrastructure, interface, metadata, and protocols for search, display and stewardship of maps, imagery and geospatial content
A Master's degree in Geography or related field and seven years’ experience of which two (2) are in an academic or specialty library, three (3) involve experience with geospatial software products and two (2) are in a management role ; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience with ESRI software and products
- Demonstrated knowledge of web mapping applications such as Google Map engine, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server and technologies such as QGIS, Grass, Google Earth Pro, and MapInfo
- Demonstrated knowledge of geospatial data formats and metadata schemas
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of exemplary customer service demonstrated through actively listening, acknowledging, and responding to every inquiry; taking ownership and resolving each concern or problem as appropriate; exhibiting professionalism and expertise in every interaction and engaging in professional development to meet expectations for service excellence.
- Evidence of effective written and oral communications skills
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diverse clientele
- Experience in planning, analyzing and coordinating activities and establishing priorities
- Experience in working independently in an environment subject to limited direct supervision requiring judgment and initiative
- Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC