Created: December 11, 2015
New York Public Library New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionSeeking: an experienced mobile developer to help reinvent eBook discovery and access for public libraries.
A maker and experimenter*. Love to to build awesome apps in rapid iterations. Excited to enable public access to information and interested in figuring out ways to breathe new life into books digitally. Convinced that public institutions have a role to play in shaping the information age. Game to help reinvent a 100-year-old organization. Tired of building template apps and Candy Crush clones and want to create something of substance.
*Got side projects? Not a problem. NYPL offers a fast-paced but humane work culture, leaving you time to live, play and create outside of the office. Artists, hackers, writers, musicians... we all work at the Library.
About The First Big Project
With the support of the federal government and a broad coalition of library partners, The New York Public Library is building a small, empowered product team to develop a mobile platform for ebook lending and reading that could serve as model for public libraries across North America. You’ll be reinventing the experience of how the public access books, and then expanding into how to rethink how people access the library from their pocket.
- Play a key role in the design and lead implementation development of the client-side mobile application platform for eBooks and Library digital content for iOS (and help plot expansion to other platforms).
- Participate in the overall maintenance of the application, including bug fixes, performance enhancements and run-time production support
- Work with server-side engineer to define service APIs to support the mobile application
- As needed, generate technical documentation for various aspects of the application
- Work with front-end (UI) developers to integrate server-side code with UI artifacts
- Engage with the eBook hacker community through blogging, public speaking, hackathons etc.
- Problem Solving
- At least 2-3 years of experience writing native applications for iOS.
- Expert-level knowledge of Cocoa and Objective-C. You eat, sleep, and breathe Cocoa Pods
- Has previously built client-server applications
- Strong experience in managing the constraints in mobile applications – optimizing speed and efficiency with storage, memory usage, power management, battery usage, etc.
- Keen eye for design detail
- Strong appreciation for architecture, problem solving, testing, and agile development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Passion for building high-quality mobile products
- Self-starter, with ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks
- Write and speak as well as you can code (there are often opportunities to write and present about our work inside and outside The Library)
- High energy and a positive attitude in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Strong desire to make a huge impact on how the public is able to access knowledge.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, December 11, 2015 21:47 UTC