Library Systems Administrator
Created: November 17, 2015
University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison0 other recent jobs
DescriptionWorking Title: Library Systems Administrator
Official Title: SR INFORM PROC CONSLT(S44BN) or INFORM PROCESS CONSLT(S44DN)
Degree and area of specialization:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited academic university required. Masters of Library and Information Studies, Masters of Information Systems or equivalent preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Three years of experience working with a Library Services Platform/Integrated Library System such as Voyager or Alma
- Demonstrated experience administering an Integrated Library System within a large scale library setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of discovery tools and metadata practices supporting discovery, specifically in a library context
- Knowledge of bibliographic record structure such as MARC, XML markup and FRBR
- Technical knowledge of library services and supporting data (including Acquisitions, Circulation, Cataloging and Electronic Resource management)
- Experience integrating third-party applications into library systems
- Demonstrated computer literacy and experience with library tools, applications, and resources in support of library services
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment
The Library Systems Administrator is an experienced, service-oriented, professional responsible for managing the configuration, administration and support of our many Library Systems. These include, but are not limited to, Alma, Primo, ILLiad and our UW-Madison Library Catalog. This individual will bring strong analytical, technical and troubleshooting skills in support of a complex array of library applications. In addition, they will be adept at gathering requirements from various stakeholders and efficiently translating them into actionable specifications for vendors, developers and other resource groups. The Library Systems Administrator reports to the Manager of Computer Operations within the University of Wisconsin Libraries, Library Technology Group.
The Library Systems Administrator will work closely and collaboratively with library and technical staff, integrated library system vendors, application developers, researchers and campus and UW System partners to further the discovery, delivery, maintenance and preservation of Library and other data. The Library Systems Administrator will coordinate the installation, testing, customization, and ongoing configuration of Library systems software and related upgrades. He or she will have a strong understanding of MARC and other metadata and how they relate to and enhance our various discovery systems.
The Library Systems Administrator is also responsible for helping to create and regularly maintain the various online processes for integration of Library Services Platform data and external systems such as ILLiad, the University of Wisconsin Library catalog, UW System Shared Financial Systems, Generation Fifth Library Archival System and others. He or she will work closely with other technical staff on managing both UW-System and Madison patron processing services to insure compliance with authorization policies and license agreements.
The Library Systems Administrator will have a thorough understanding of the functional, operational and service needs of the Library as well as a creative, dynamic perspective on provisioning data and services through our various systems. He or she will have a strong commitment to system integrity, support and continuity of operations, actively coordinating and communicating with vendors and others in pursuit of problem resolution.
- Experience with managing projects, meeting deadlines and communicating to various stakeholders within academic library environment
- Experience with providing access to electronic resources (licensing, access, troubleshooting, etc.) and authentication methods (including EZproxy software)
- Experience with DBMSs (MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle, or MS Access) and writing queries in SQL
- Experience with transformation of metadata for discovery interfaces, such as the display logic and normalization rules used in an Alma/Primo environment
- Knowledge of authentication using LDAP and Shibboleth
- Ability to think critically about how to leverage the data services environment at a large research library to serve the mission of the university
Employee Class: Academic Staff
Department(s): LIBR/LIBR TECH GROUP
Full Time Salary Rate: Minimum $60,000 ANNUAL (12 months) Depending on Qualifications
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Appointment percent: 100%
Anticipated begin date: JANUARY 01, 2016
Number of Positions: 1
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Application must be received by: DECEMBER 15, 2015
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to apply, applications must be submitted online at
Questions about the position can be directed to: Anne Murphy-Lom
728 State Street
Madison, WI 53706
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: http://www.oed.wisc.edu/478.htm
NOTE: Please indicate in writing if you request that your identity be kept confidential. If you do not indicate your preference to remain confidential, the University may be required to disclose your identify and/or application materials. The identity of finalists and successful candidates will be revealed upon request. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 16:24 UTC