DescriptionNebraska Library Commission,
Salary: Not Specified
Continuing Education Coordinator (Senior Librarian)
STATE JOB POSTING UNTIL 12/28/2015
Position: Continuing Education Coordinator (Senior Librarian), Nebraska Library Commission
Class Code: S37114, Position No. 03420006
Provide leadership in statewide provision, planning, evaluation, and coordination of library continuing education and training programs and services. Offer consulting services as a member of the Library Development team.
Normal work week is 40 hours, but hours are extended when necessary to reach the goals of the position. Evening and weekend hours are sometimes necessary. Travel throughout the state is required as needed.
- Participate in the statewide planning and coordination of library-related continuing education and training programs.
- Work with the regional library Systems and libraries (especially public, academic, and institutional) to ascertain their needs and to plan accordingly.
- Provide consulting services statewide related to continuing education, but also in other library-related subject areas.
- Possess knowledge of, or be willing to gain knowledge of, both traditional and emerging areas in libraries such as new technologies, and be able to share information about those areas with others.
- Administer and coordinate the Basic Skills training program for public librarians, occasionally teaching a number of these courses.
- Administer the Public Librarian Certification program for Nebraska.
- Administer the Public Library Board Certification program for Nebraska.
- Work with other Library Development staff, and other Nebraska Library Commission staff to ensure that the Public Librarian Certification and the Public Library Board Certification programs meet the needs of the state’s public libraries.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of the Library Board Handbook and the Public Library Directors Guidebook, keeping these up-to-date as needed.
- Explore different modalities for delivery of content for continuing education, sharing this knowledge with others and employing it as needed.
- Work effectively with a wide variety of people both inside and outside the library field.
- Plan, coordinate, and/or provide for the acquisition of online continuing education statewide including contracts with national content and access providers (e.g., SkillSoft, Moodle).
- Responsible for annual contract to provide SkillSoft (technology-related, online training courses) of approximately $7,500 per year.
Machines or Equipment Operated:
- Telephones (office and cellular)
- Personal computers, desktop and laptop
- Presentation equipment
- Other equipment as needed
Relationship or Contacts with Others, Excluding Supervisor and Those Supervised:
Supervision is limited. Work is reviewed by supervisor’s observations of goal attainment and success of programs. Regular meetings or consultation with other Library Development staff and meetings with supervisor on request also help to determine direction.
The person in this position is an active member of Library Development team and works with other staff assigned responsibilities related to continuing education and training. Works closely with regional library System directors, with different types of librarians (especially public, academic, and institutional), and somewhat with the Nebraska Library Association, to ascertain their needs and to plan accordingly.
Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association-accredited program AND at least three years of experience in professional library/information work in a specialized area.
- Computer/technology experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Professional library experience in providing and planning continuing education.
- One year training experience.
Full time permanent position (40 hours weekly) Monday through Friday
For questions and further details, please contact Jerry Breazile, 402-471-4007.
To apply you must complete a State of Nebraska job application at http://statejobs.nebraska.gov/. Apply online on or before December 28, 2015. For Nebraska State Personnel special accommodations under ADA and/or to apply, call 402-471-2045.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Masters degree in library science from an American Library Association Accredited program AND at least three years of experience in professional library/information work in a specialized area.
OTHER: Valid driver's license or able to provide independent authorized transportation.
Nebraska State Government
1526 K Street, Suite 100
Lincoln, Nebraska, 68508.
direct link to posting:
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC