Web Projects Manager
Created: November 11, 2015
University of Houston Houston0 other recent jobs
This position manages complex web projects within the University of Houston Libraries to streamline and integrate access to library resources and services in support of the teaching, research, and the learning needs of the University of Houston community as well as provide innovative resources and tools to librarians and staff. The person in this position should have advanced skills in web development, interface design, and application integration. This position reports to the Head of Web Services.
- Supervises 3 FTE web developers
- Manages web projects using agile development methodologies and incorporates user experience design and usability testing as needed
- Works closely with the Head of Web Services to identify and prioritize projects, and define project scope, timelines, and specifications
- Delegates project work to staff, reviews progress of projects, reviews code, incorporates feedback from user research, and ensures overall quality of completed projects
- Communicates with stakeholders throughout a project’s life cycle
- Follows standards for web accessibility and universal design
- Assists in the development of departmental strategic plans and goals
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends new web technologies for use within the Libraries
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4-year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
- Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience
- Project management experience
- Significant programming and development experience in a LAMP environment
- Experience generating and maintaining clear documentation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in a collaborative team environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to formulate options and recommend solutions
- Supervisory experience
- Familiarity with version control systems
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Experience with responsive design and universal design principles
- Experience working in a library and/or higher education
- Enthusiasm for contributing to open-source software projects
The Web Services Department is a group of librarians and professional staff that develops, designs, integrates, and maintains many of the Libraries’ web sites and applications, digital asset management systems, and mobile interfaces. Web Services values accessible services, collaboration, evidence-based decision making, innovation, openness and transparency, and clean system integration. More about some of their recent projects can be found on their departmental blog.
The UH Libraries are a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Greater Western Library Alliance, the Hathi Trust, the Council on Library and Information Resources, the Digital Library Federation, and the Texas Digital Library. The campus libraries provide access to over 3.1 million volumes. The University Libraries’ total staff is 160, including 62 professionals.
The UH Libraries’ Strategic Directions document focuses on targeting services to specific user groups, reimagining library spaces, promoting outreach, and increasing national recognition. The Strategic Directions support an ambitious set of goals adopted by the University and further the drive for flagship status.
The University of Houston campus comprises 13 colleges offering close to 80 degree programs with an enrollment of about 40,000 students, 7,200 of whom are enrolled in graduate studies. Reflecting the multicultural community of metropolitan Houston, UH is one of the most ethnically diverse research university campuses in the nation.
Houston, the fourth largest city in the United States, offers all the cultural and recreational opportunities of a great city and is within easy reach of the Gulf of Mexico. It enjoys a very reasonable cost of living and was selected by Forbes as topping the list of America’s coolest cities.
For additional information, read about Houston's flourishing arts scene and entertainment offerings and about housing and living in Houston.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted online.
Please also visit the University of Houston Libraries Employment page for more information.
All positions at the University of Houston are security sensitive and will require a criminal history check.
Potential applicants seeking further information should contact Rachel Vacek, Head of Web Services.
THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC