DescriptionThe Mansfield Library at the University of Montana (UM) seeks a creative, collaborative, and knowledgeable individual for the position of Digital Archivist. Reporting to the Head of Archives and Special Collections, the Digital Archivist supports the teaching and research missions of the University of Montana by taking a lead role in implementing and overseeing the management and preservation of digital content warranting long-term retention by the Mansfield Library. The Digital Archivist also assists with the acquisition by Archives and Special Collections of collections with digital content, provides general research and reference assistance within the Archives and Special Collections, and assists with the unit's general outreach activities. The Digital Archivist may also engage in specific outreach related to personal digital archives and digital content preservation, including serving as a resource to university employees and offices seeking guidan
ce in managing their own electronic materials.
This is a tenure-track library faculty position, with a twelve-month appointment. The individual selected for this position must be able to meet the library's unit standards for tenure and promotion.
- Implement and oversee the Library's preservation efforts for born digital and digitized material, in close collaboration with the Head of Archives and Special Collections, the Head of Library Systems Administration, the Digital Initiatives Librarian, and the Metadata Librarian.
- Manage workflows for accessioning digital content for Archives and Special Collections.
- Participate in appraisal, management and delivery decisions and activities related to digital content for and from Archives and Special Collections, including university records.
- Manage the Library's web archives subscription and services.
- Staff the Archives and Special Collections reference desk, providing general research and reference services.
- Participate in outreach activities which promote archives in general and the Mansfield Library's Archives, Special Collections and Preservation areas, specifically, including through development of/or contributions to Library social media sites and other outreach platforms.
- Participate in research and service activities as articulated by the Library's unit standards for promotion and tenure.
- Required Qualifications:
- ALA-accredited MLS or ALA-endorsed international equivalent in library or information science, or relevant related graduate degree, by date of hire.
- Command of archival theory and best practices.
- Commitment to serving diverse user populations.
- Experience arranging and describing archival collections.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects effectively, including prioritization and goal-setting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the technical requirements for digital preservation including metadata schema, file formats and standards.
- Knowledge of best practices in assessment of needs and development of workflows for digital preservation.
- Familiarity with legal and ethical issues related to archival materials, and especially to digital material.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate highly technical concepts and requirements to a variety of audiences.
- Experience appraising and accessioning electronic material.
- Experience in the application of data content and data structure standards relevant to the archival control of digital collection materials.
- Knowledge of western history, especially Montana history.
- Familiarity with archival content management systems.
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages.
- Familiarity with issues related to data management.
- Familiarity with web content management systems.
- Familiarity with university records and record retention schedules.
- Experience with digital forensics software tools and methods.
- Experience providing reference assistance in a library or archives setting.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, 12-month appointment, and tenure-track faculty position, with a minimum salary of $47,000 annually, depending on qualification and experience. Benefits include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, and professional development/wellness program. A summary of Benefits can be found at: http://www.umt.edu/hrs/Personnel Resources/Benefits/default.php.
About the University and Mansfield Library
Located at the heart of western Montana's stunning natural landscape, UM is a magnet not only for top-notch teachers and researchers, but also for students from across the country and around the globe. A city within a city - with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code - UM has a rich culture and is highly committed to building a culturally diverse environment.
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library is the largest library in the state of Montana with a tradition of collaboration with a variety of state and regional library partners. The Mansfield Library is a leader in the state in the use of technology to extend services and collections to the citizens and university's global community. On campus, the Mansfield Library is heavily used by students and researchers alike as a learning place and a place offering opportunities for cultural and intellectual pursuits through its successful instructional programs, exhibits, collections and events.
Inquiries pertaining to the announcement can be directed to: Deborah Kelley, Fiscal and Personnel Manager; email,
How to Apply
Apply at http://bit.ly/1382daml. Application materials received by November 15, 2015 will be given full consideration. Applications received after November 15th may be considered, as the position will be open until filled
Complete applications must include:
Letter of Interest - addressing the listed qualifications
A current Curriculum Vitae listing education and describing work experience
Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
AA/EOE/ADA/Veterans Preference employer
How to apply
Published: Thursday, October 22, 2015 19:18 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC