The Programmer/Analyst will be responsibe for web application development, implementation and testing for all areas of the UMKC University Libraries web presence. This includes the library website and mobile applications, search systems, backend databases, web services and the integration of networked third-party library systems, to enable a seamless experience for end users. In support of the work practices of UMKC students and faculty members, the University Libraries must continuously introduce, develop and refine their online services. In addition, the Libraries are working to enhance support for online education.
- Conduct software project planning and tracking activities, gather requirements, design software (code and system architecture), write code, test components within a testing framework, create and manage documentation, respond to reported issues from library staff, maintain software, and manage versions in a code repository
- Implement web applications specified in part by the user interface designer using Drupal and a range of languages and platforms specified below. Build themes, templates, and tools to support separation of design and navigation from content editors and updates
- Provide a robust and highly usable mechanism for library staff to maintain and develop new website content
- Collaborate with the User Interface Designer to plan functionality, to estimate implementation resources, and to create prototypes and finished software ready for deployment
- Integrate third-party components into the library web presence
- Where possible, share code and contribute to open source projects supporting the library community
- Facilitate teamwork by communicating essential information, coordinating actions, obtaining expert input, reviewing open issues and action items and contributing information to team meetings and reports
- Update job knowledge by researching new web technologies, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks and participating in professional organizations
- Help with the setup of test environments and configure virtual environments
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science – Software Engineering emphasis or equivalent experience
High level of familiarity/expertise with at least two of the following programming languages:
- PHP (Preferred)
- ASP.Net C#
- Demonstrable ability with jQuery
- Demonstrable ability with HTML5 & CSS3
- Experience developing with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL
- Familiarity with the Drupal CMS including installation experience, and knowledge of basic Drupal development
- Competent with interface design (not necessarily visual design, but tool design). Candidate can put together a compelling prototype without having a design handed off, or can follow existing design patterns to expand on an existing UI
- A solid understanding of web application architecture, object oriented software, and design patterns
- Experience with version control technologies
- Experience with the implementation of accessible (http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility), responsive (cross-device compatibility) and cross-browser-compatible web applications and sites
- Demonstrated understanding of user-centered-design principles
- Efficient, organized and very effective within a collaborative team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to give occasional presentations to peers and other internal audiences
Familiarity/Expertise integrating the following technologies in the software development process:
- Custom Drupal modules and themes
- Learning Management Software (Blackboard and Moodle)
- Microsoft SharePoint
- XML, XSLT and XPath
- Shibboleth, Active Directory, and LDAP
- Search interface development
- Apache SOLR
- Experience working in higher education or in an academic library
- Familiarity with the use of academic library websites, and the use of the library catalog and subscription databases to access online articles and content
$57,500 - $70,000
Friday, October 23, 2015
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachments.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Visit the UMKC Jobs website to view this full posting, labeled "Programmer Analyst, 63987" using the link on the right-side of this posting. Once there, click the Apply Now" button below the listing.
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC