DescriptionCaltech’s Digital Library Development group is seeking a tech-savvy, energetic and inquisitive librarian to join a team of developers, librarians and technologists that power the Library’s R&D activities in both established and emerging areas of activity. The team supports research and instruction at one of the world’s leading academic research institutions through the development of new repository and publication services, data management, manipulation and visualization services, and innovative digital learning and scholarship tools and environments. Working collaboratively the Digital Technologies Development Librarian (DTDL) envisions, designs and implements new tools, technology services and collaboration infrastructures to support scholarship in the data-intensive Caltech research and teaching community. Building on the Library’s well-established repository program, digitized archival collections, and recently established “TechLab,” the DTDL will work with the Digital Library Development team to build platforms for innovation and new services to Caltech and the world.
• Provides technical and project leadership for library information discovery and delivery systems development
• Leads the library’s Web team in the development of the library’s online presence on all platforms
• Coordinates technology implementation with librarians and other content managers and IT staff
• Works collaboratively with library staff and campus stakeholders to design and develop the technical foundation for new library services
• Develops, implements and integrates digital tools and techniques in support of research and instruction, and staff activities
• Identifies appropriate established and emerging technologies to meet the needs of digital projects
• Works with IT staff to maintain and enhance existing library services and develop supporting infrastructure
• Manages projects as appropriate, and coordinates library-wide projects as needed
• Serves on Library and campus committees and teams
• Is expected to be active professionally as a librarian
• MLS, or equivalent advanced degree
• Understanding of contemporary library information structures, standards, and systems
• Familiarity with the provision of information services in a highly technical environment
• Experience with piloting and prototyping technologies
• Server-side application development (e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby)
• Potential for ongoing professional contribution
• Knowledge of user-centered design processes (user studies, use of analytics for data-centered decision making)
• Familiarity with version control systems (GIT, Subversion)
• Familiarity with web analytics and search engine optimization
• Experience contributing to open source development projects
• Experience working in an academic library
• Project management experience
About Caltech and Caltech Library
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future. Founded by Caltech faculty, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is a division of Caltech and is the leading U.S. center for the robotic exploration of the solar system. For the fourth year in a row, Caltech was named the top university in the world in 2014-15 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Caltech was awarded "Great College to Work For" by the Chronicle of Higher Education in 2013.
Caltech's 124-acre campus is located in Pasadena, California. Home to the Rose Bowl Parade, Pasadena is located in the foothills of the Angeles National Forest, 10 miles from downtown Los Angeles.
The Caltech Library system comprises five libraries and Archives and Special Collections. The Library's 42 staff are divided across four units that reflect the Library's core areas of service to Caltech: Digital Library Development, Access and Fulfillment Services, Archives and Special Collections, and Research Services.
The Caltech Library helps enable the Institute fulfill its mission to expand human knowledge through research integrated with education. The Library is most effective when it mirrors how Caltech itself works--its ambition to take on challenging and fundamental problems through creative, collaborative and multidisciplinary inquiry.
In 2014 Caltech faculty adopted an Open Access policy, which grants nonexclusive rights to the Institute to disseminate faculty papers. The Caltech Library supports this policy through CaltechAUTHORS as well as outreach and consultation on a range of scholarly communication issues. The Library is also active in scholarly communication collaborative initiatives such as SPARC, arXiv, and ORCID. The Library participates in a variety of Library and standards bodies, including the Digital Preservation Network, Digital Library Federation, Coalition for Networked Information, NISO, OCLC Research, the Western Regional Storage Trust (WEST), and the Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC).
Find this posting at: http://www.library.caltech.edu/about/jobs/DigitalTechnologiesDevelopmentLibrarian.html
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.caltech.edu/postings/3628.
Caltech is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law.
How to apply
Published: Monday, August 24, 2015 19:18 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC