DescriptionAssistant Research Librarian (Desert Research Institute, Nevada)
Posting Number F0132014
Position Title Assistant Research Librarian
Location Las Vegas, NV
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) operates research libraries at its Reno and Las Vegas campuses. We are seeking a part-time (51% FTE) Assistant Research Librarian that will work as an academic partner, at the Las Vegas campus, to support DRI faculty, students and staff in helping them achieve their academic and professional goals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing science reference services/performing research requests for faculty and staff, processing interlibrary loan requests, circulation duties, serials management, desktop publishing, conducting online searches, consulting electronic databases at the request of faculty and staff, collection development and management of DRI’s Las Vegas library, which involves the selection of information resources including electronic, storage, and deaccession decisions
- Managing gray literature
- Resource sharing among NSHE libraries, particularly for subjects related to water resources, geohydrology, archaeology, quaternary research, plant biology, ecology, limnology, atmospheric sciences, environmental engineering, remote sensing, and geomorphology
- Providing back-up on day-to-day coordination of north and south libraries, and personnel oversight as needed
- Supporting a variety of special projects which include archiving DRI Reports
- Provide electronic database and resource instruction of faculty and staff as needed
- Performing archival research, including copyright issues as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 2 years of full-time increasingly responsible professional library experience, which included responsibility for managing collections, publications, reference and project management
- Demonstrated knowledge of print and electronic reference resources
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to determine information and research needs of students, faculty, scientists, and researchers to effectively develop and deliver responsive services using a variety of tools
- Experience with complicated sourcing
- Proven customer service experience in a diverse professional environment and ability to deliver services using a variety of methods (not limited to email, in-person, phone, Skype or WebEx)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Strong multi-tasking, organizational, planning and coordination skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with an emphasis on Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
- A valid Nevada driver’s license at time of hire and good driving record
- Advanced degree in a program accredited by the American Library Association in library information science or equivalent is highly desired
- Advanced degree in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Best practices in delivering library content to advanced degree user population
- Experience with Web of Science, Spin/Genius, WorldCat, GeoRef, and/or EndNote
- Experience with the reference interview process
- History of success working with research faculty
- Experience in researching government documents
- Experience with supervision or leading part-time student help
- Knowledge of copyright policies, practices, and procedures in regards to matters of library/publication copyright compliance
The individual who is offered and accepts this position must provide, within 30 working days of his/her start date of the position, a copy of the transcript(s) of the highest degree he/she acquired, as awarded by an accredited institute as recognized by the United States Department of Education and/or the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
The ability to perform physical tasks, such as moving or lifting heavy objects up to 50 pounds, frequently stooping, bending, kneeling; travel to different sites and locations.
Incumbent will have to travel to Reno occasionally.
The starting annualized salary for a fully qualified individual in this position is $21,420 at 51% FTE, commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for DRI’s benefits package and relocation assistance. See this link for a benefits overview:Faculty Benefits.
Note to Applicants
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. DRI employs only U.S. citizens and persons lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
Posting Detail Information
Position Type Administrative Faculty
Open Date 08/07/2015
Open Until Filled Yes
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC