J. Willard Marriott Library at The University of Utah has an opening for a DevOps Engineer with emphasis on Linux Systems Administration (SA). DevOps is a development method that stresses communication, collaboration and integration between software developers and information technology professionals.
As a member of the Systems Administration team, you will be responsible for installation, support and maintenance of servers and storage systems in a highly available 24/7 environment. You will be working with motivated, talented, and personable developers who are constantly working to create and deliver systems that help further the mission of the Library and University of Utah.
• Architect, build, configure, and maintain servers in both a VM and physical environment
• Administer and troubleshoot software/hardware issues for Linux, Windows, and Storage systems
• Work with software development team to build applications, document configuration, and transfer dev knowledge to other SAs
• Administer and maintain user and group access controls, quotas, and permissions
• Perform upgrades, patching, auditing, scripting, and monitoring
• Monitor system logs for security, backup and performance
• Maintain documentation of configuration and changes
• Assist on-call, as part of first response for after-hours emergencies
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty and 2-4 years of experience in Linux administration or related area
Department Specific Qualifications:
• Experience with virtual servers
• Experience with tape backup systems, SAN, scale-out storage systems, shell, and powershell scripting
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Applicants must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• 4 + Years of Ubuntu SA experience
• 2 + years of Windows 2008 R2 and newer SA experience
• Experience working with Apache Tomcat, Jetty or JBoss
• Experience with Web Development and Object Oriented Programming languages
• Knowledge of IP management, subnetting, DNS, DCs, NIC teaming, and load balancing
• Familiar with Development processes and Agile methodology
• Knowledge of library information systems
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), email: email@example.com.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Special Instructions Summary
For full consideration, please apply by August 16, 2015
When prompted to do so, please provide three (3) professional references.
This is a local recruitment. Out of area candidates will be responsible for travel costs for final in-person interviews and for moving costs, if selected.
How to apply
Published: Friday, July 31, 2015 21:56 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC