DescriptionThe Library at Carleton University invites applications from qualified candidates for the position of Data Services Librarian. This position is a preliminary (tenure track) appointment. As a member of the Maps/GIS, Data and Government Information team, the incumbent is responsible for leading the delivery of data services in the library to support teaching, learning and research activities at Carleton University.
This position works collaboratively with colleagues within the unit and across the Library to provide coordinated support for research and data services and technologies, and coordinates the efforts with regard to support for undergraduate services and programming. Applicants must have an accredited Master of Library and Information Science degree and experience in an academic library; minimum 3 years’ experience with techniques and technologies for engaging with data.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with common qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, descriptive statistics, including data analysis tools & techniques (e.g., SPSS, Stata, NVivo, SAS, R, ArcGIS)
- Expertise with numeric data sources, including published statistics, for one or more disciplines and willingness/interest in adding others
- Demonstrated knowledge of data visualization tools (e.g., Excel, Google Charts, Tableau Public, Google Fusion Tables) and data gathering, management and delivery systems (e.g. Dataverse, ODESI)
- Understanding of issues and trends in the communication and publication of research data
- Applied knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to data management/curation, including format migration, preservation, metadata, data retrieval and use issues
- Flexibility to work with faculty, staff and researchers across a broad range of disciplines
- Proven ability to initiate and work in a complex and rapidly changing organization and to bring projects to conclusion in a timely fashion
- Effective analytical, organizational, oral and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Aptitude for teaching and developing instructional content and documentation for internal and external users
- Strong public service orientation.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC