DescriptionThe Lead Film Archivist provides strategic planning, oversight, and execution for receiving, cataloging, preserving, curating, and storing of Lucasfilm media including film, audio, video, digital and paperwork. This involves the use of Company databases & storage facilities in accordance with industry best practices. Archivists facilitate research of material and intra-company loans for Lucasfilm and Disney employees. The Lead Film Archivist will provide the day-to-day direction for the job duties of one Film Archivist. Provides helpful, prompt, friendly customer service on all requests. Able to work independently and be self-motivated, as well as, be a team player. Be highly sensitive to and responsible for content and physical security of all assets, in accordance with Lucasfilm / Disney security and anti-piracy protocol.
- Provides strategic planning, oversight, and execution for receiving, cataloging, preserving, curating, and storing of Lucasfilm media including film, audio, video, digital and paperwork
- Develop a comprehensive collections management policy, best practices and guide for the purpose of being utilized to steward assets, and ability to leverage as a training manual for Film Archivist Dept. Work with other Film Archivist in developing content, and present to Senior Leadership for approval. Manage and continuously update manual as needed.
- Understand the components and complexities of a digital archive system and strategize on movement/conversion of assets to a digital archiving system. This may include working with third parties to transfer film to tape or digital medium
- Leads efforts to grow databases to meet the needs of the business, which may include planning and managing for database enhancements and/or new systems implementations
- Provide stewardship of Lucasfilm’s priceless legacy of assets utilizing preservation and storage best practices. Management of inventory and long term storage solutions of assets. Manage the archive process of fragile elements for preservation.
- Regular assessment of, and planning for, collections in storage, on loan, and during travel to ensure highest standards of preservation and risk management best practices are appropriate, adequate, applied, and documented.
- Heavy cataloguing of media including film, audio, video, digital and paperwork using Filemaker Pro and/or similar databases. Shelve and organize media for greatest accessibility and security
- Research and fulfill requests originating from Lucasfilm and Disney employees. Loan, track and ensure return of materials to Lucasfilm and Disney employees, in accordance with Lucasfilm / Disney security and anti-piracy protocol.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and security
- Provide day-to-day direction for the job duties of one Film Archivist
Requirements Education / Experience:
- Master’s degree in a related field OR 2-3 years experience working in an archive
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Proficiency with Filemaker Pro
- Understanding of digital archiving system
- Knowledge of asset conversion process into digital archiving system
- Demonstrates ability to properly manage time
- Maintain confidentiality and security
- Must be able to work independently, and be a self-starter
- Must be a team player
- Ability to thrive in a remote environment
- Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to adapt to dynamic communication styles and operate in a diplomatic manner and with maturity
- Strict attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrates clear understanding that confidentiality is a top priority for all Lucasfilm employees
- Ability to provide own transportation to and from work.
- Previous film handling experience
- Previous rare printed material & paper handling experience
- Experience with museum or archive databases other than FileMaker Pro
- Familiarity with audio and video formats
How to apply
Published: Monday, July 27, 2015 16:09 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC