DescriptionFounded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,100 full-time undergraduates and 4,700 graduate and professional students. Ranked 31 among national universities and a member of the Association of Research Universities, Boston College has 752 full-time and 1,080 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $886 million, and an endowment of approximately $2 billion.
The Digital Production Librarian supports the mission of the Digital Library program at BC by managing all aspects of digital capture and ingest, including overseeing operations and output, establishing and documenting projects and processes, and supervising staff. Working closely with the Head of the Digital Library Program and in concert with team members, this professional will ensure effective and efficient capture and ingest of an increasing amount of digital content by applying professional skills in project management and digital collections, and applied technical abilities in metadata manipulation and repository ingest.
- Supervises two staff positions
- Ensures a steady stream of new digital content
- Accountable for project management, documentation, and supervision
- Works closely with staff in Digital Library Program as well as digital content contributors/selectors, (primarily subject liaisons, curators and Archives and Manuscripts staff)
- Works closely with Metadata Creation & Management staff to create metadata application profiles and crosswalks applying programming/scripting language skills
- Ensures integrity and quality of metadata within and across collections
- Consults with Head Librarian, Scholarly Communications & Research, about intellectual property issues as needed
- Manages relationships with imaging vendors, interface providers, and metadata vendors
- Familiarity with digital library repositories, including the ability to evaluate and participate in the development and customization of a new special collections repository
- Project management experience with demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to handle complex analytical and detailed work.
- Experience with databases, metadata analysis and manipulation, archival management systems, XML, digital imaging, metadata and digital object standards
- Experience with one or more programming / scripting languages, e.g.PERL, PHP, Ruby
- Knowledge of relevant metadata standards: MODS, METS, Dublin Core, and EAD.
- Strong XSLT skills and experience with OpenRefine
- Experience writing, modifying, and troubleshooting SQL queries
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with GIT or similar versioning control systems beneficial
- ALA-accredited MLS
- Formal training in programming languages
- 2-3 years experience in a digital library, library systems, or metadata environment
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC