DescriptionBrown University Library seeks a dynamic, visionary leader for the role of Associate University Librarian for Digital Technologies. This position provides strong leadership and strategic direction in the development, delivery, and integration of new and existing systems, technology services, and digital initiatives across the libraries. S/he supervises department heads for the following groups: Digital Scholarship Services (which includes oversight of spaces); Digital Preservation; Web Services; Integrated Technology Services; and Repository Services. S/he also manages the Center for Digital Scholarship in close collaboration with the Associate University Librarian for Research and Outreach Services. In addition, the incumbent will identify and oversee the implementation of new roles and technologies that improve, enhance, and extend Library services based on emerging needs of the campus community.
S/he serves as the Library’s chief liaison with the University’s Office of Computing and Information Services and related technology units on campus. S/he will actively seek partnerships with other Library departments and organizations external to the Library, solicit input from and manage collaborations with a broad spectrum of partners, and ensure that the Library’s digital services support a wide array of user needs within the teaching, learning and research mission of the University. This includes developing strategies to assess the effectiveness of digital services, spaces, and operations, and advising and coordinating with Library leaders on technology needs.
The incumbent will stay abreast of emerging developments, issues, and trends in the use of digital technologies in higher education, and will contribute to and be active in local, consortial, regional, and national projects and developments.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the AUL for Digital Technologies is a member of the senior administrative team and will play a lead role in Library-wide planning and evaluation and in setting the Library's strategic directions
• Bachelor’s degree required. A graduate degree is preferred, such as an MLS or MIS from an ALA-accredited program, or an MS/MA or PhD in a relevant subject.
• The successful candidate must have at least 5 years of progressively responsible management experience in information technology in an academic library with substantial technical knowledge of systems and digital technologies including significant experience in developing and managing technical projects.
• Candidate will have demonstrated or meaningful prior experience in some or all of the following: digital repository development (Fedora), digital libraries, data curation, and digital scholarship.
• The most qualified candidates will have an excellent grasp of advanced information technologies and their applications, detailed knowledge of project management, and a demonstrated ability to estimate the scope of a project and bring it to completion on time and within budget.
• The successful incumbent will have a flexible approach to problem-solving and the ability to catalyze change, and also will have a record of fostering strong collaborative partnerships within and across an academic library and research university.
• Candidate will demonstrate a record of excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills along with strong analytical and decision-making skills.
• Experience with obtaining grant funding and managing grant-funded projects is preferred.
Please note: all offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check and education verification.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
To apply, go to:
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 18:41 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC