Providence Public Library seeks an innovative and collegial individual to bring expertise and enthusiasm to the position of Technology Support Specialist within its emerging Information Commons. This position requires demonstrated intermediate to advanced technological experience maintaining computing hardware and systems, and is responsible for providing effective delivery of library services and resources by managing operations of key library applications and systems. This position reports to the Director of Information Technology, and works closely with the Library’s Digital Producer and other staff working in the Information Common’s public service areas: Circulation and Information Services.
Since its founding in 1875, the private, non-profit Providence Public Library (PPL) has served the City of Providence and State of Rhode Island, growing and innovating in response to the changing needs of its community, often recognized regionally and nationally for providing award-winning public library services. PPL is a learning organization that adapts and innovates to meet users’ changing needs and translates the best of America’s free public libraries to the digital age. Our strategic priority is to foster a culture of transformation, with a focus on learning, creativity, engagement and staff development. If you share these values and meet the qualifications, the Library invites you to apply for this position.
Reports to the Technology Director and functions as an integral team member of Technology & Information Services, including:
- Troubleshoots and responds to problem issues concerning the operation of library networking, servers, phones, systems, and public and staff computing equipment within the Information Commons.
- Assists library patrons in the use of public computing equipment and systems.
- Consults/assists library staff with regard to emerging applications and operations.
- Installs and sets up computing in all library offices and departments.
- Provides technical expertise and assistance, including troubleshooting and problem solving, for all computing operations.
- Assists library departments with planning for system changes and enhancements.
- Supervises installation of hardware and/or software in the Library’s network and public computing spaces.
- Prepares and produces reports as necessary.
- Experience creating web content, coding/programming experience, or working with digital media.
- Serve as member of team/functional committees as appropriate.
- Miscellaneous duties, as required
- B.A. in an appropriate field; or combination of equivalent education and a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience working in a public or academic library system, especially in IT or technical services.
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting and responding to problem issues concerning the operation of library networking, systems, and public and staff computing equipment within an Information Commons/library environment.
- A track record of effectively communicating and evaluating technical information with staff, the public, vendors, and technical personnel, both verbally and in writing; and ability to train library staff as needed.
- Experience working with or supporting an Integrated Library System (ILS), including circulation, cataloging, and patron account management functions, as well as its ancillary systems, such as SIP servers and RFID-based circulation and checkout systems.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating complex information and emerging issues in the use of advanced technology, communications and user needs in library environments.
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Web, coding/programming, digital media and/or digital repository experience preferred.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC