DescriptionThe Web Programmer provides programming and technological solutions for the development, enhancement, and maintenance of the W&M Libraries Web Content Management System, scholarly and archival digital collections & repositories, web applications, and internal workflow automation. This position will work in the Technology and Content Services department as a direct report to the Coordinator of Digital Services and will be an integral part of the Digital Services Team.
This position will be the primary programmer/coder for digital projects, web content management system, instructional interfaces, and automated staff workflows. As part of the highly collaborative Digital Services Team, the position provides technical support in the development, enhancement and maintenance of library services; provides troubleshooting, resolution and updates to current programs; works closely with UX Designer on web development projects and tasks; assists Digital Services Team with researching, identifying, and recommending systems for future needs.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in computer science, information systems or other relevant discipline.
• Experience working with and deploying vendor & open-source web software including developing and enhancing themes and extensions, customizing configurations, and identifying hosting and server options.
• Experience with markup languages such as HTML and CSS.
• Experience working with a version control system (git, subversion or mercurial).
• Experience working with large existing code bases and /or open-source products.
• Experience using a web content management system (Cascade, Drupal, Adobe Experience Manager or other).
• Knowledge of scripting/programming for automation tasks, data access and data processing.
• Knowledge of current web design best practices.
• Working knowledge of Linux
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to formulate options and recommend solutions.
• Ability to work in a collaborative, cross-functional, team environment, and establish effective working relationships with all stakeholders and communicate technical concepts to non-technical staff from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to multi-task by working on medium and long term projects while undertaking day-to-day operations; carry out assignments in a timely manner, and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
• Proficiency in PHP.
• Familiarity with programming languages: Python, Ruby, SQL.
• Experience working with DSpace and/or Omeka.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC