DescriptionAVPreserve is currently accepting applications for the role of Senior Consultant. Senior Consultants at AVPreserve are the face of the company, responsible for using their expertise and all available resources to contribute to envisioning, formulating, planning, synthesizing, and implementing strategies and solutions in alignment with the goals and objectives of our clients and the AVPreserve vision. Senior Consultants are responsible for identifying opportunities for AVPreserve to support the goals and objectives of past, present and prospective clients, and are also expected to be a leader in the company, mentoring and developing AVPreserve staff and providing support on AVPreserve projects where needed, as well as a knowledge leader among colleagues and within professional organizations. This versatility and cross-fertilization among business lines is an important factor underlying AVPreserve’s success.
AVPreserve provides a wide array of services, and our team members require diverse skill-sets in order to contribute across a range of those offerings. At this time we are particularly looking for people who can immediately step into roles providing services in the areas of data management and governance, data migration, data flow, and data modeling; the implementation of digital preservation standards, policies, and best practices; and the identification and integration of digital asset management procedures and systems in both production and archival environments. Applicants should have 5 years experience in at least one of those areas as well as existing proficiency in the use of applicable hardware, software, and computing language(s), along with the willingness to gain expertise with additional skills as needed.
At AVPreserve, you will find challenging and meaningful work through collaboration with talented and engaged colleagues and clients, tackling real-world problems through development and implementation of innovative solutions and strategies. You will work alongside others in a culture of continual improvement that supports and motivates constant growth. You will be contributing to the continued evolution of AVPreserve at an exciting time for the company and for the clients we serve. Over time, you will be given greater responsibilities, autonomy and the ability to be creative and innovative in your work, with AVPreserve as a platform for support and promotion in the attainment of your own goals.
Email a PDF of a cover letter and resume to careers[at]avpreserve[dot]com. No phone calls please.
General goals and objectives of this position include:
- Work in support of the AVPreserve vision;
- Be an active participant in establishing and maintaining AVPreserve as the premiere consulting and software development firm focused on leveraging a deep understanding of technology, information management, business, and people to advance the ways in which information is used for the benefit of individuals, organizations, and causes;
- Provide the most effective and meaningful support possible to our clients;
- Develop and retain clientele;
- Take responsibility for planning, attaining, managing and reporting on AVPreserve budgetary goals;
- Continually learn and consistently contribute to the AVPreserve skill-set and knowledge base;
- Increase awareness of and promote the AVPreserve brand and services; and
- Promote increased communication and collaboration within AVPreserve to aid in effective coordination and implementation of project management, marketing and revenue generation efforts.
- Contributing to the successful completion of consulting engagements, including but not limited to:
- Researching, compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information;
- Conducting interviews, surveys, assessments and other forms of discovery;
- Leading the analysis and writing of project reports, including the creation of diagrams, spreadsheets and other supporting documents;
- Development of specifications and guidelines;
- Working with AVPreserve team members to generate project deliverables;
- Preparing and making presentations; and
- Leading meetings
- Leading and managing projects, including but not limited to:
- Developing and managing project timelines, schedules, milestones, deliverables, budgets and resource allocation;
- Identifying resources required;
- Managing work plan execution;
- Tracking actual vs. budgeted hours and expenditures;
- Overseeing project team members including subcontractors;
- Serving as the client liaison; and
- Familiarizing staff with projects and activities, training staff when necessary and delegating work so that staff are able to easily assist with completion of work.
- Reporting on projects and activities including:
- Regular meetings to discuss and present on business, projects and forecasting; and
- Reporting all billable and non-billable hours worked including specific activities performed, and projected time to completion of milestones and/or project.
- Engaging in business development and marketing activities, including:
- Developing and documenting a network of professional contacts, and working to expand this network over time;
- Identifying potential business opportunities through networks and existing project work;
- Contributing to and managing preparation of proposals;
- Presenting on behalf of AVPreserve at relevant conferences; and
- Consistently working to bring in projects.
- Performing identified research and development activities in support of AVPreserve products, services and marketing efforts. These may include:
- Writing blog posts;
- Publishing of white papers and articles; and
- Development of software application and utilities.
- Contributing to the successful operation of the firm by:
- Developing and documenting systems and AVPreserve’s knowledge base in order to promote consistency, efficiency, quality, successful delegation and effectiveness;
- Adhering to AVPreserve policies and procedures;
- Participating in internal AVPreserve meetings;
- Working to meet targets for billable hours, effective hourly rate, and other identified business goals and objectives;
- Collaborating with and educating AVPreserve staff; and
- Actively identifying and suggesting possible business initiatives and/or improvements.
Knowledge of, and interest in working within a variety of domains, including: cultural heritage, media and entertainment, broadcast, government, academic, museums, not-for-profits, and corporations;
- An understanding of different organizational cultures and contexts, of interpersonal and interdepartmental relationships within organizations, and how those cultures and relationships impact the use of information;
- Knowledge of business analysis and data management strategies;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent writing skills and ability to organize and present complex material clearly and logically;
- Ability to listen empathically;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good presentation skills;
- Ability to manage projects effectively (i.e. on time, on budget, and to address challenges as they arise);
- Ability to use all software necessary to generate project deliverables including, but not limited to reports, diagrams, spreadsheets, scripts, data models, databases, and code;
- Ability to supervise project teams and other consultants;
- Good project planning and organizational skills;
- Programming and statistical skills a plus; and
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally for projects and conferences several times per year (estimated between 35 and 60 days annually).
- AVPreserve offers a generous benefits package that includes an employee healthcare plan and 401K contributions.
AVPreserve is a consulting and software development firm focused on leveraging a deep understanding of technology, information management, business, and people to advance the ways in which information is used for the benefit of individuals, organizations, and causes. Our team consists of internationally recognized experts with years of experience working with academic, media and entertainment, government, museum, broadcast, and corporate organizations.
While the founding of AVPreserve was rooted in audiovisual media, and our expertise in this area is advantageous in many ways, most of our projects involve mixed media collections that span all media types across physical and digital domains. Similarly, our original focus on archives and preservation has been extremely useful in developing effective strategies for the management of media and metadata, but today we work with organizations of all types that are concerned with the searchability, distribution, and access to assets, whether in an archival, production, or broadcast environment.
AVPreserve has locations in Brooklyn, New York and Madison, Wisconsin. Candidates should live in the U.S., but are not required to live or relocate to one of these locations. However, daily video conferencing and messaging with team members, and regular visits to the New York office are required.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 21:33 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC