User Experience Designer
Created: July 2, 2015
Yale University New Haven0 other recent jobs
DescriptionYale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: This position designs both the visual appearance and the user experience for rich-client, web-based projects at the Yale Digital Humanities Lab. The successful candidate will use expertise in web design, interactive design, user experience and related fields to craft the look and the feel of DHLab online deliverables. The person works independently to capture requirements from project leaders in an ongoing and iterative process: defining the particular user experience and visual design that meets each project’s goals, creating conceptual wireframes and/or prototypes, and conceiving the layouts, visual elements, and graphic treatments.
The position has sole responsibility for the logical flow and interactive design of DHLab projects. The position uses experience with process workflow and the user interface logic to make complex projects intuitive and usable by lay and expert audiences alike. The UX Designer uses their expertise in wireframe tools to produce mockups, and uses their knowledge of multiple potential user audiences (on-campus and off-campus) to ensure effective visual and interactive designs. After deployment, the UX Designer collaborates with the project leaders and other staff on formal and informal usability testing. Based on results from this usability testing, the person refines the process workflow and user interface logic to incorporate the lessons learned from real-world use.
The position reports to the Director of the DHLab and creates and maintains effective working relationships across the Yale Library system and the University as a whole.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in a related field and four years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of collaborative teams. Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, students and staff.
• Demonstrated project management experience, including managing multiple priorities. Ability to participate in, and lead, the iterative discovery of project requirements and the organization of those requirements into logical project phases.
• Interest in and/or experience with digital humanities and cultural heritage projects such as crowd-sourced transcription systems, digital mapping projects, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to produce potential website layouts, user interfaces and organizational strategies using wireframe tools.
• Preferred: Master’s degree in human-computer interaction, interaction design, information science or similar. Previous experience in digital humanities, academic technology, academic libraries, or similar.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 32119BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC