Library Technology Architect
Created: June 19, 2015
Harvard University Cambridge, MA0 other recent jobs
Harvard University Information Technology
Library Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Managing Director of Library Technology Services (LTS), Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) seeks a Library Technology Architect. This new role will be a member of a high performing leadership team which focuses on the development of powerful solutions to advance scholarship and teaching through the collection, creation, application, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge. LTS works in deep collaboration with the Harvard Library (HL), one of the premier research libraries in the world, as well as with HUIT’s Academic Technology team to ensure that library materials and services are effectively embedded into the academic enterprise. The Library Technology Architect will also work in close collaboration with digital library software engineers and systems librarians on specific library technology projects which will support the Harvard Library strategic objectives.
Key responsibilities of the position will be to assess the current state of library enterprise architecture, develop road maps for all major components of the enterprise library technology environment and to develop a multi-year IT strategy which aligns with the strategic objectives of the Harvard Library.
Initial focus areas will include participation in projects in the following areas:
- Participate in a technical review of options for a new Library Services Platform to assess integration and compliance with Harvard enterprise architecture
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in LTS and HL on architectural aspects of the developing landscape of tools used to collect and create digital library collections
- Play active role in the ongoing assessment and architectural planning for digital repository services for the Harvard Library
- Develop a plan for Interoperability and to promote the use of APIs in the library environment
- Play a lead role in external collaborative developments such as LD4L and the IIIF consortium
- Master’s degree in computer science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience, required
- Ten or more years of experience architecting complex enterprise information systems
- Experience contributing to the successful development and operation of enterprise-scale information systems as reliable infrastructure, including hardware, software, middleware, and supporting human processes
- Expert knowledge of IT infrastructure and current standards, including architecting and integrating multi-tiered system architectures
- Solid knowledge of server and storage architectures, as well as cloud based solutions; IT middleware, including authentication, authorization, account provisioning, identity management, and directory services, and proven experience designing system that integrate with / incorporate these services
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a complex and demand driven environment, working collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, colleagues at peer institutions and open source communities
- Knowledge of key trends in digital developments in research libraries including open source community projects, linked open data, bibliographic standards, metadata schemas, and digital repositories
- Proven ability to capture, document and convey complex business needs and processes, translate them into functional requirements and system specifications, and develop a supporting technical design at an abstract level, and detailed technical specifications (including choice of implementation technologies)
- Sophisticated understanding of how information is organized and used to support the academic and research missions of the university
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard's leadership in IT!
MORE ABOUT HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology is a primary provider of IT services to the Harvard community. In collaboration with Harvard's CIO Council, we maintain IT policies and foster innovation across the University.
To make it easier for students, faculty and staff to learn, research, teach, and work through the effective deployment and use of information technology.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/ykxsrs4
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:41 UTC