DescriptionThis is a fully benefited, full-time Harvard University position that has been funded through June 2016. There is the possibility of renewal, contingent on funding, university priorities and satisfactory job performance.
Harvard University IT Library Technology Services (LTS) has developed and deployed a large scale digital repository service aimed at providing web access and long term preservation to tens of millions of digital images, audio, books, web harvests, and other digital collections of the libraries, archives and museums at Harvard. The digital repository is strategic to the core mission of the Harvard Library. As the digital landscape changes, a variety of new content types will added to the repository, and made available for on-line presentation to both Harvard users and the general public. Each content type presents unique challenges in preservation and on-line delivery.
LTS is seeking a creative java software engineer to enhance our digital repository to support new content types, such as vector drawings, word processing files, 3D objects and raw camera image formats. In close collaboration with Harvard Library digital preservation staff and as part of an agile development team, the software engineer will design, implement, test, and deploy software enabling content deposit, preservation, management and presentation, opening Harvard’s diverse collections to researchers, teachers and learners now and in the future.
• Bachelor degree with 3+ years java software engineering experience or equivalent.
• Familiarity with XML as a data representation
• Java development using J2EE in a JBOSS or tomcat environment
• Experience developing and consuming RESTful APIs
• Experience with library metadata schemas such as METS, PREMIS, MODS
• Experience with test-driven development practices
• Experience working with an agile development methodology.
• Experience in requirements development and direct client engagement
• Experience integrating and/or contributing to open source software projects
• Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
• Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
• This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT!
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To make it easier for students, faculty and staff to learn, research, teach, and work through the effective deployment and use of information technology.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, May 14, 2015 13:02 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC