DescriptionSupports a college library through providing in-depth consultation with students and faculty and collaboration for the ongoing improvement of instructional programs and practices. Pursues an active scholarly agenda, performs supervisory duties, and participates in college-and university-wide programs and committees as assigned.
Queensborough Community College, City University of New York, is located on a park-like campus in Bayside. The college offers associate degrees in a variety of transfer and career programs. Queensborough Community College is committed to fostering a collaborative, learning-centered community and the Kurt R. Schmeller Library is very concerned with working in a learner centered environment. The Instructor or Assistant Professor- Emerging/Learning Technologies Librarian will:
- Explore, develop, promote, and assess innovative online tools, including social networking and other services targeting off-campus learners
- Take a leadership role in the creation and implementation of online learning modules to support the Library's information literacy, reference and web-based learning programs.
- Support both onsite and virtual reference services
- Support the creation of course-related and curriculum-integrated web resources
- Work with faculty members who use Blackboard and who teach fully or partially online courses
- Work with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to assist faculty in integrating both technology and library resources in effective community college pedagogy
- Assist faculty members with copyright issues
- Provide information about open access resources
- Participate in collection development, including print and online resources; develop and maintain subject and policy guides.
- Represent the library on college and university committees
- Other duties as assigned
The position includes evening and weekend assignments.
Tenure track faculty must meet the publication and service requirements for tenure and promotion.
For Assistant Professor:
Ph.D. degree in area(s) of expertise, or equivalent as noted below. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, interest in productive scholarship or creative achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
Master's in Library Science (MLS), Master's in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution, with a second graduate degree required. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
Master's in Library Science (MLS), Master's in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution and active progress towards completion of second graduate degree. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
Experience in online instruction or e-learning, preferably in a higher education context; experience with instructional design, screencasting tools, preferably Camtasia or Adobe Captivate.
Knowledge of virtual reference, social networking strategies and course management systems (Blackboard preferred).
Teaching and reference services experience; one or more years of related professional work experience, preferably in an academic library.
Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills.
A commitment to innovative and effective user-centered services; knowledge of current trends in information and educational technologies.
Superior oral and written communication skills.
The successful candidate will show evidence of productive teamwork, creativity, initiative, flexibility and ability to work with diverse populations.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
How To Apply:
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, May 9, 2015 10:47 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC