DescriptionPlease see the full posting of this position at: https://www.pittsource.com/postings/93646
The University of Pittsburgh University Library System (ULS) is seeking an enthusiastic and talented key contributor to the growth, development and enhancement of a large ecosystem of digital repositories for scholarly content. This is a high-level, regular, full-time position reporting to the manager of Systems Development in the Information Technology department of the University Library System. Work will mainly consist of project management and programming tasks relating to the various repository systems run by the University Library System as well as contributing to collaborative Open Source software projects coordinated by other organizations for the benefit of the University Library System.
At various times the incumbent will perform in all areas of systems analysis, system design, needs assessment, software development, interface design and development, software support, and resource planning for a diverse constellation of electronic publishing platforms, digital collections, author self-archiving repositories, and related applications. The incumbent will act as a lead programmer within the department and may at times lead external groups on collaborative open source development projects. The incumbent will work in tandem with and provide expertise, direction, and consultation as it pertains to repository administration and programming to Web and Systems Developers and Analysts within the department on a daily basis. The incumbent will work on data-related import/export processes as well as data transformations to move data between systems.
The incumbent will be responsible for communication with staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders through meetings, working groups, committees, and special interest groups both within and external to the university. The incumbent must quickly learn new concepts, manage tasks efficiently while meeting deadlines, and possess excellent communication skills. The incumbent must be a self-motivated, independent, detail oriented, responsible team player.
PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Record Check will be required as a condition of employment.
Additional Education and/or Experience Essential to the Position:
- M.S. in Computer, Information, or Library Science or related field; a minimum of 7 years relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Proficiency with Object Oriented Programing using PHP, Perl, Ruby, Java, Python.
- Proficiency with SQL, relational databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL).
- Proficiency with XML and various metadata standards; experience in XML transformations preferred.
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and software.
- Self-motivated, independent, detail oriented, responsible team player.
- Flexibility and drive to handle the variety of responsibilities and the demands of currency in this rapidly evolving field.
- May be on call for system support during evening/weekend hours.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deadlines concurrently.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in administration using a LAMP stack (Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL, PHP/PERL) environment.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a software development team leadership position.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience administering digital repository systems such as Fedora, Islandora, EPrints, Dspace, etc.
- M.S. in Computer, Library or Information Science or related field required. A minimum of 7 years related work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in administering large digital repositories based upon Fedora Commons, Islandora, EPrints or DSpace repository systems.
Able to program in at least 3 of the following languages:
- PHP, Object Oriented PHP
- Perl, Object Oriented Perl
- Able to perform code maintenance and re-factoring.
- Able to work with existing APIs.
- Able to work with XML and perform data transformations using XSLT.
- Able to effectively use software development and collaboration tools such asGIT, SVN, etc.
- Able to use and manage MySQL or MariaDB database Servers (or other relational database systems).
- Able to manage and maintain a LAMP stack.
- Able to install and maintain Apache and Apache Tomcat Web Servers.
- Able to install and maintain Drupal installations.
- Able to learn new job related tasks and technologies independently.
- Able to attack problems from different angles and find multiple solutions.
- Experience with XACML, Drush, and Solr.
- Experience with library and archival data standards, such as MARC, EAD, Dublin Core, MODS, and METS.
- Knowledge of MVC frameworks such as Ruby-on-Rails, CakePHP and Django
- Current or prior involvement with open source software project(s), as a contributor or maintainer.
- Experience in IT in a higher education environment.
Please see the full posting to apply for this position at: https://www.pittsource.com/postings/93646
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 20:32 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC