How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Library is seeking two skilled programmers to help create digital library systems and build efficient, automated workflows. The successful candidates will work as part of a team of programmers, librarians, and other experts on a major initiative to build a new digital library system architecture and populate it with new forms of content. The new system will make use of recent developments in the open source community and will handle a wide array of materials: video, music, research data sets, historical records, and more. This is an opportunity to join a skilled and forward-thinking group and to gain experience with modern technologies that support web-based research and archiving.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world's largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures approaching $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university's world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all existing and emerging forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work and towards the fulfillment of the library's mission.
Note: These positions will be full-time, three-year term appointments with the possibility of extension.
- Analyze business and user needs and design solutions involving computer systems and software
- Develop, debug, modify and maintain complex software systems
- Configure and customize open source software and engage in collaborative development activity - using modern tools and techniques
- Review system and software designs and prepare and conduct functional tests
- Create and maintain internal documentation
- Bachelor's degree in computer science and 3-5 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated programming skills in a modern programming language.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Experience and comfort working in groups.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Positive outlook and willingness to learn.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Experience with JRuby, Rails, MySQL, Perl, REST, XML and related technologies (ideally, for building data-driven web-based applications and data handling routines).
- Experience with version control (git and GitHub).
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Development experience (ideally, server and storage administration and security).
Excellent benefits, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Job Opening ID
Library Info Tech - Core Svcs
Posting Begin/End Date
1/30/2015 – 3/22/2015
$55,000.00 – $68,000.00
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC