DescriptionPaid Internship – Summer 2015
University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville VA
The University of Virginia Library, a leader in the development of digital library initiatives and infrastructure and recognized for the strength and variety of its special collections, is excited to offer an eight-week summer internship to provide a graduate student with practical experience in both areas.
The Library seeks a creative and flexible individual to work in the following areas:
- Legacy finding aid conversion using various software, including but not limited to an XML-based processor as well as ArchivesSpace, an open-source tool for managing metadata for archival materials
- Metadata creation in the form of subject analysis for legacy finding aids (training will be provided)
- Marketing and promotion for newly-available collections through established social media channels
Upon completion of the internship, the selected applicant will have worked among several departments in the library and will have gained familiarity with archival processing software, subject analysis and application, and social media marketing initiatives. This 35hr/week, eight-week internship provides a stipend of $5,000.
- Applicants must currently be enrolled in good standing or recently graduated (within the last year) from an ALA- accredited master’s program in library and information studies.
- Practical experience with archival processing workflows and with EAD is preferred.
- Applicants must commit to 8 weeks of full-time on-site service (35 hours/week).
- Internship must be completed during the months of June, July and August.
- If not a U.S. citizen, applicants must have student or working visas.
Students interested in the internship should prepare the following application package (preferably as a single PDF):
- A letter of application stating areas of proficiency and interest
- A resume
- An unofficial transcript
- Contact information for three references
Please send all materials by email to Ivey Glendon (firstname.lastname@example.org), Metadata Librarian, by Wednesday, April 1, 2015.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC