DescriptionEastern Washington University Libraries seek an energetic reference and instruction librarian, with a strong commitment to student success and retention, to support the social science programs.
This position is a 10-month, full-time tenure-track library faculty appointment to perform professional responsibilities in librarianship, scholarship, and service. Reporting to the faculty chair, the Social Sciences Librarian will promote a positive work environment, encouraging collaboration and communication. The candidate will work closely with the library faculty and staff to identify ways to promote reference and instructional goals and objectives.
This person will develop creative, student-centered approaches to provide library programs and services. Responsibilities in librarianship will focus on both reference and instruction activities primarily at the Cheney campus, but will also involve providing reference service for students enrolled in the online and distance education programs.
- Provides information literacy instruction for assigned social science liaison areas and the general education curriculum in accordance with the ACRL Information Literacy Standards.
- Creates and maintains online tutorials, research guides (e.g. LibGuides), training materials and programs to support outreach and instructional initiatives.
- Travels to off-campus locations for distance education programs as needed.
- May have the opportunity to teach credit classes in support of the general education curriculum, either on information literacy issues or other areas of interest.
- Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.
- Provides general reference assistance to all library patrons both in-person at the reference desk and virtually (e.g. QuestionPoint) as scheduled.
- Provides specialized social science, instruction and research assistance.
- Participates in night and weekend reference as needed.
Collection Development & Outreach to Departments
- Coordinates collection development for assigned social sciences disciplines in collaboration and/or consultation with social science faculty.
- Works collaboratively with library faculty in evaluating and selecting databases.
- Performs outreach to social science faculty. Collaborates with the social science faculty on information literacy initiatives to promote student learning and success. Promotes a mutual awareness of services and programs between the library and social sciences departments.
- Participates in library and university committees, governance, and working groups.
- Collaborates with a variety of colleagues and clients across the university and the region.
- Explores and develops funding opportunities through grant and proposal writing.
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 6, 2015 10:29 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC