DescriptionDescription and Responsibilities
OCLS invites qualified candidates to apply for this exciting and challenging position in the area of
Information Technology (IT) and systems for the libraries in Ontario’s 24 publicly funded colleges.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to expand their skills and knowledge by
participating in the support, maintenance, development and delivery of a wide range of services
and solutions offered to Ontario’s college libraries by OCLS. Major responsibilities include:
- Work effectively within OCLS’ Customer Support and Services teams to deliver exemplary customer service to Ontario’s 24 college libraries;
- Supports the OCLS computer network infrastructure by updating servers, switches and other equipment as needed, manages backups, troubleshooting when problems occur and maintaining server integrity. Installs, removes and modifies OCLS applications as required;
- Maintains the VMWare and VSphere environment and Equallogic SAN environment
- Supports the OCLS desktop environment
Working with the OCLS IT team, manage support of the opt in services provided to colleges. These include:
- The integrated library system used by 12 colleges (currently SirsiDynix Symphony)
- The Remote Access service currently used by 16 colleges (combines proprietary code with EZProxy)
- The Video on Demand service currently used by 10 colleges (streaming video service)
- Support for these services may include configuration, creation/maintenance of VM instances, network and firewall work, programming and backup/restoration of files
Working with other members of the OCLS IT team, the Services team and colleges to support development and maintenance of OCLS core services including
- Colleges Union Catalogue (SirsiDynix Symphony)
- Collect Repository (built on III Vital with a Drupal user interface)
- Colleges Central Repository (built on III Vital)
- Request Tracker helpdesk ticket tracking system;
- OCLS website and its components including a development system, the ERMS system and the EVE voting system
- Single Sign-on with the SimpleSAML protocol
- Above services are used by all colleges; OCLS uses Drupal 7 in its website
- Support the work of the OCLS services team;
- Participate in qualitative and quantitative evaluation of services delivery and the tracking of pertinent data and statistics to demonstrate value to OCLS customers and funders;
- Maintain knowledge of relevant trends and issues in the field.
- A three-year diploma in computer science or equivalent is required at the point of hire into this position. Advanced knowledge in systems administration and networking is required.
- Knowledge in library technical operations through a recognized library educational program or through experience is an asset;
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience in VMWare, Microsoft 2008 server, Linux, Microsoft Exchange 2010, Microsoft SQL 2005;
- Minimum of two (2) years experience at an administrative level with Cisco iOS, RHEL 5 and vSphere 5.5;
- Experience with Perl, PHP, Visual Basic or other scripting/programming languages
- Experience with Drupal;
- Project management experience;
- Experience in and strong commitment to outstanding user experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to collaborate successfully with colleagues and other professionals in an environment characterized by rapid change;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team; willingness to work after hours if needed
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple assignments at once;
- Experience with trouble ticket tracking (RT preferred) and report generating in an ILS environment;
- Fluency in French as well as the English language would be an asset;
- Knowledge of MARCEdit software would be an asset.
OCLS offers a competitive salary and generous benefits, including a pension plan.
Ontario Colleges Library Service was established in January, 2009 as a non-profit corporation to
provide a suite of core and opt-in services to the libraries/learning resource centres of Ontario’s
24 publicly-funded Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology. OCLS is well positioned to help the
college libraries support student success and works closely with them to develop cost effective
services and solutions that are responsive to new methods of teaching and learning including
online and hybrid education.
Apply by Email:
February 27th, 2015 at 3pm -- EXTENDED to March 31st, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates may apply by submitting a letter of application, current
resume, and a list of three professional references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting
‘OCLS Position #121’ in the subject line. Only those candidates selected for interview will be
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC