DescriptionThe Information Designer provides design expertise to support the development of media and data-driven digital scholarship. As a member of the Library’s Center for Digital Scholarship (CDS), the Information Designer works with scholars and technical staff from the conception of digital products through to their publication. The incumbent identifies and implements approaches to visual expression that offer clear, persuasive, and thematically-coherent experiences for an academic audience. S/he works to conceive, prototype, test, and complete designs for digital publications that pay particular attention to data representation, user experience, and the dialectical or exploratory goals of the scholarship. The Information Designer maintains current awareness of all relevant UI and UX technologies, and applies that knowledge as part of development teams working on a variety of digital scholarship projects in the humanities. This is a grant-supported position with funding until the end of 2019.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 3+ years of professional experience in web or UX design.
• Strong knowledge of visual design and data representation principles.
• Knowledge of web standards, data formats and accessibility.
• Expert knowledge of front-end technologies; HTML5, CSS3, Bootstrap.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative suite and/or common multimedia editing software
• Knowledge of wireframing software such as Axure or Balsamiq desirable
• Familiarity with academic projects or other scholarly communications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work as part of a team in an agile project management environment.
Background Check - Criminal
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact Employment@Brown.edu.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, national origin, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC