Search Senior Engineer
Created: February 18, 2015
Internet Archive San Francisco0 other recent jobs
DescriptionSE-303: Search Senior Engineer
About the Internet Archive: The Internet Archive is a non-profit with a huge mission: to give everyone access to all knowledge--the books, web pages, audio, television and software of our shared human culture. Forever. Based in San Francisco and with satellites around the world, the Internet Archive staffers are building the digital library of the future--a place where we can all go to learn and explore. Our 140 engineers, book scanners, librarians, designers and team members have built the #200 website in the world. (https://archive.org)
Location: Inner Richmond, San Francisco, CA
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt
Job Summary: The Internet Archive has a huge corpus of digital information. . . all ready and waiting for access through modern Search technologies. With millions of books and texts, 100s of 1000s of hours of video, millions of audio tracks, and over 450 billion web captures there's a lot to search. We are looking for a smart engineer with deep experience in Search and a passion for modern and evolving search approaches and technologies. The ideal candidate will possess a desire to work collaboratively with a small internal team and a large, vocal and active user community; demonstrating independence, creativity, initiative and technological savvy, in addition to being a great programmer/architect.
Key Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position are to be the technical master of all things related to Search at the Archive. More specifically, this means:
• Improving the Search experience at Archive.org, OpenLibrary.org, and Archive-IT.org
• Ensuring the effective deployment, configuration, and administration of Search technologies within our multi-data-center computation and storage cluster to achieve outstanding search performance and quality.
• Analyzing current challenges in our search infrastructure(s) and proposing effective improvements.
• Facilitate the effective integration of Search into multiple web applications as they evolve.
• 3 to 5 years extensive work experience in open-source search systems and technologies, including:
• SOLR / Lucene
• At last 10 years experience working in Linux environments
• Experience working in cluster-computing environments
• Knowledge and experience with search optimization an user experience considerations (for both text-centric and metadata-centric searching)
• Flexibility and a sense of humor
• BS Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
• Deep knowledge of evolving search technologies, including SPARK, SOLR5, and REdis-3
• Cluster computing experience
• Experience open source practices and participation in open source forums
• MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Reporting Structure: The Senior Engineer for Search reports to the Director of Engineering and will work closely with both the cluster infrastructure team and web application development teams. Like other Bay Area technology firms, we offer staffers a catered lunch every Friday, massages, countless M&M's and working in the coolest office space in San Francisco. But more importantly, you will be helping to make sure we preserve the history of the Digital Age.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Click here to Apply with the subject line "SE-303: Search Senior Engineer"
Internet Archive will consider for employment-qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC