DescriptionThe Haverford College Libraries seeks a creative, collaborative, and enthusiastic Metadata Librarian to join a supportive, service-oriented team as it embarks upon a new strategic plan and prepares for a large renovation to its main library. The Metadata Librarian creates and administers traditional and non-traditional metadata for library collections in all formats. The incumbent provides strategic leadership in the application of metadata standards and best practices across library systems, and serves as a campus resource to faculty and other constituents in incorporating metadata into research projects. Reporting to the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian, the Metadata Librarian maintains awareness of emerging trends at the national level and their implications for local practices.
Working in a highly collaborative and supportive environment, the Metadata Librarian is responsible for generating and maintaining through a variety of means bibliographic records in Tripod, the joint catalog of the Tri-College Library Consortium (Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore Colleges). The incumbent produces metadata for the Libraries’ digital repositories, and performs quality control on data input by student assistants. The incumbent trains student assistants in an assortment of metadata-related tasks, including copy cataloging, and maintains departmental procedures and statistics. The Metadata Librarian collaborates with others in the Haverford Libraries and the libraries at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore Colleges to develop best practices of mutual benefit to the consortium. Often in collaboration with Digital Scholarship staff, the incumbent consults with faculty and other campus constituents on applying metadata to enrich research projects. The Metadata Librarian maintains knowledge of emerging national trends and their implications for local practices. Reports to the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
- Manages and evaluates the quality and consistency of the Tri-College Library Consortium's bibliographic databases.
- Performs or supervises copy and original cataloging of print and non-print materials.
- Applies metadata expertise to locally-developed digital collections.
- Trains and supervises student assistants.
- Develops and implements local metadata policies and procedures in consultation with the Head of Metadata Services/Visual Resources Librarian.
- Represents Haverford in Tri-College discussions of metadata issues.
- Responsible for OCLC training, support, and software maintenance.
- Contributes to the smooth operation of the Haverford Libraries, and strives to create a supportive, healthy work environment.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience applying AACR2/RDA, MARC, LCC, LCSH.
- Experience cataloging in OCLC and in an integrated library system.
- Experience creating, applying, and manipulating non-MARC metadata using standards such as Dublin Core, DDI, EAD, or METS.
- Interest in and awareness of metadata issues and trends, such as linked data and BIBFRAME.
- Strong service orientation.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and students.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Two or more years of experience working with metadata in an academic library.
- Experience coding in PHP, Python, or other programming language.
- Experience using MarcEdit.
- Experience working with DSpace, Fedora, or other repository system.
- Reading knowledge of one or more Western European languages.
- Experience working with authority files.
- Experience with data management planning and data curation activities
Published: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 17:49 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC