DescriptionThe NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Digital Technologies Development Librarian in the Digital Library Initiatives department. Digital Library Initiatives develops and delivers an information environment that significantly advances end-user resource discovery and use of library services. As a member of the Digital Services Development group, the Digital Technologies Development Librarian works as an active participant in a team that advances library services through applied research and application development and manages the entire life cycle of projects, from requirements gathering to deployment. The Digital Services Development group has produced a number of unique and widely used systems to improve our service to library users, including the Suma space assessment toolkit, the lentil photographic social media archival collecting system, the Quick Search bento-box style single search system, and the WolfWalk geo-enhanced mobile guide to the history of NCSU. This group is currently developing new projects in areas including library service and resource discovery, assessment and analytics, data visualization, social media archives, research services, and application virtualization. The Digital Library Initiatives department maintains a culture of collaboration, with a focus on supporting each other’s professional growth and providing opportunities for mentorship.
The Digital Technologies Development Librarian provides technical leadership and hands-on programming expertise for a portfolio of library projects. In close collaboration with technical and non-technical partners across the Libraries, she or he identifies emerging technologies that have potential for new and improved library services. Working both independently and in team settings, the incumbent develops new digital library services through an iterative, data-informed, and test-driven process that emphasizes performance, sustainability, and usability. The Digital Technologies Development Librarian maintains and provides enhancements to existing library applications and collaborates closely with Information Technology staff to develop and maintain supporting infrastructure. She or he participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams. NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field. Reports to the Lead Librarian, Digital Services Development.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree
- Server-side application development experience with one or more open source programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Ruby
- Database development skills with systems such as MySQL and Solr
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- Knowledge of user-centered design processes, including applying analytics to support data-informed decision making
- Experience applying systems analysis techniques to solving novel problems
- Enthusiasm for contributing to open-source software projects
- Experience working in an academic library
More information: https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/epa/dtdl
NC State is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC