The University Library seeks a dynamic and innovative librarian to play a supporting role in the establishment of a new campus-wide video content management system (VCM), and to aid with the migration of content from the Library's existing digital asset management system to the new system. THIS POSITION IS A TWO-YEAR TERM APPOINTMENT.
The VCM Specialist will report to the manager of BlueStream within the Library's Digital Library Production Service (www.lib.umich.edu/lit/dlps/). The initial implementation and campus deployment of VCM is a collaboration between ITS and the Library, with Library activity centered in the Learning and Teaching division and DLPS. Primary responsibilities will include:
Campus VCM (50%)
- Gaining familiarity with the new VCM system, intended uses, and users.
- Working in close coordination with collaborators within the unit and across the Library, participate in the establishment of Library provided, patron oriented, services that utilize the VCM.
Other Related Activities (10%)
- Participating in the concurrent pilot effort in DLPS focused on the digital preservation of moving images by sharing relevant expertise.
BlueStream Migration (40%)
- Gaining familiarity with the existing BlueStream system, how it is used, and who depends on it.
- Assisting the manager of BlueStream in executing a plan to migrate completely away from the current system to the new VCM or other options by June 30, 2014.
- Understanding the needs of stakeholders and the impact of migration. Helping to ensure continuity of service throughout migration. Communicating with stakeholders about process and progress.
- Helping to determine logical migration destinations, and paths, for BlueStream content, taking into consideration the potential pitfalls that lead to loss of data.
- ALA-accredited Master's degree in library or information studies or equivalent advanced degree and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with digital media formats and their use in library settings, especially video. This includes archival and access formats for streaming.
- An understanding of issues related to the preservation of digital formats is required.
- An aptitude for quickly mastering technical topics.
- Familiarity with the operation of content management and digital asset management systems.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with culturally diverse faculty, students, and staff.
- Knowledge and experience in the management, digitization, and preservation of moving image recordings.
- Experience with video content management and digital asset management systems similar to UM's BlueStream, and Kaltura.
- Programming experience with Perl, Python, or Ruby is beneficial though not required.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC