Digital Asset Specialist
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum — Cooperstown
0 other recent jobs
Created: February 6, 2015
DescriptionThe National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is seeking a Digital Asset Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Digital Strategy, the Digital Asset Specialist will support the development of the NBHOF’s Digital Asset Management System (DAMS) infrastructure, leading efforts in migrating and organizing existing media, creating and managing taxonomies, metadata standards, policies and procedures related to digital assets.
- Assist in the clean-up, organization, and maintenance of current digital assets, Museum-wide
- Develop and/or adopt naming taxonomies and metadata standards.
- Provide quality control for all metadata to ensure accuracy and consistency across the institution. This includes the developing and managing of metadata tools, controlled vocabularies and other metadata standardization solutions.
- Facilitate workflows for the incorporation of digital assets into the Museum’s DAMS from all departments.
- Tag files with relevant and accurate metadata, enforcing asset file standards.
- Create policies and procedures related to the intake of born digital collections.
- Provide functional support to individual DAMS software users.
- Work closely with Digital Strategy, Curatorial and Collections departments to improve and expand the distribution of and access to still image, video and other digital assets for museum staff and external clients.
- Research and make recommendations on emerging standards and best practices in digital asset management. This includes digital asset preservation, metadata, and digital rights management.
- Leveraging digital assets for the development of content for distribution across all digital platforms.
- Support the initiatives of development, retail, education and curatorial in the digital space.
- Help to identify new departmental collections of digital assets to add to the database.
- Other duties as assigned
BA or BS in Library Science, Museum Studies, Computer Science, or related field
- 2-5 years of practical experience in a museum, archives, or library image archive, including: database management, software administration, digital rights management, metadata standards and practices, file formatting, and data migration.
- Experience with enterprise-level digital asset management software preferred – Islandora, Fedora Commons or other similar DAMS.
- Working knowledge of current digital archiving standards and best practices, including: file naming, metadata standards and workflows, file formats for still and video assets, and digital asset management.
- Very high level of organizational skill and attention to detail with the ability to advocate and implement best practices and institutional policy regarding the museum’s digital assets.
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively with others as part of a team as well as independently.
- An understanding of intellectual property law, including “fair use” and similar copyright issues.
Published: Friday, February 6, 2015 21:12 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC