DescriptionThe Caltech Library is recruiting a Head of Digital Library Development to design and implement an overall digital library strategy that responds to current and emerging needs and that leverages the strengths of an institution of Caltech's size and prominence. This newly created position will be a key member of the Library's executive leadership team.
The Digital Library Development department is composed of 3 librarians and 6 IT professionals. The department supports CaltechAUTHORS and other repositories on the EPrints platform; digitized Archives collections on the Islandora digital Library platform; the III ILS and SFX discovery tools; the Library's website; public and staff desktop computing; and core infrastructure.
In addition to supporting applications development and core infrastructure, the Digital Library Development department serves as an R&D engine within the organization. It maintains capacity to undertake pilot projects; is opportunistic in undertaking new initiatives stemming from Caltech faculty interests; and participate in national-level groups working at the intersection of scholarly communication and digital libraries. The Library partners closely with other research and service units on campus, including the six academic divisions, Information Management Systems and Services (IMSS), Offices of Legal Affairs and Research Compliance.
The Head will provide leadership to expand the digital library as a platform for digital content, preservation, and online services; and will lead implementation of new services that support emerging needs, such as funders' requirements around data management and open access. The Head will provide leadership on technology-rich learning and collaborative spaces in support of learning and research. S/he will be a leader in increasing the Library's capacity to manage technically and organizationally complex projects.
The Head will be professionally engaged, represent the Caltech Library in relevant professional organizations, and promote the professional development and engagement of department staff and other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in a pertinent accredited program
- Five years of related work experience, including 3 years in a management or supervisory role
- Demonstrated ability to manage professional technology staff
- Excellent communication, writing skills and data analysis skills
- Demonstrated record of innovation and project management
- Demonstrated understanding of changes in digital Library technologies and trends
- Record of sustained scholarly and professional achievement in the field
- ALA-accredited Masters of Library Science (MLS)
- Progressively responsible managerial experience of a technology unit in an academic library
- Experience with programmatic support for research data management
- Experience with needs analysis or assessment and alignment of programs with needs analysis findings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC