DescriptionThis position is assigned to the Architect of the Capitol, Office of the Chief Administrative Officer, Curator Division, Records Management and Archives Branch and serves as an Archivist in the Records Management and Archives Branch.
Incumbent is responsible for the accessioning, arrangement, description, preservation, and management of the permanently valuable historical records of the Architect of the Capitol. Because the Architect of the Capitol is exempted by law from sending the agency's permanent records to the National Archives, the Archivist performs a range of duties normally undertaken by the staff of the National Archives and Records Administration.
- Evaluating and accessioning historical paper and electronic records as documentary evidence of the administrative history of the agency and the history of the Capitol Complex.
- Organizing, maintaining, and preserving the permanent records of the AOC in textual and electronic format following the highest archival standards.
- Researching the history of the United States Capitol utilizing the historical records of the agency.
- Assisting the Chief of the Records Management and Archives Branch on matters of records retention and management, archival storage, and planning of microfilming/scanning projects as well as overseeing the daily work of Archives Technicians and summer employees.
- Performing reference services in the records of the Architect for AOC staff and contractors, congressional staff, government agencies, scholars, and the public.
- Conducting research in the historical records and published sources and drafting clear and concise responses to reference requests.
- Working with others to implement and maintain an electronic document and records management system to manage records across the AOC and researching new methods of representing descriptive information for access, incorporating finding aids, databases, and the AOC Guide to Historical Records.
- Conducting agency records inventories in order to update the records schedules in AOC jurisdictions.
- Developing and implementing the agency's oral history program.
- Presenting results of research in the form of inventories, reports, and presentations.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 17:35 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC