Metadata Specialist (Specialist III)
New York Public Library — New York City
0 other recent jobs
Created: December 11, 2014
DescriptionThe Metadata Services Unit (MSU) of NYPL Labs is seeking its newest member: a creative, self-motivated specialist to wrangle metadata, oversee workflows, make batch enhancements across a corpus of more than a million metadata records, contributing to the conceptualization and rollout of experimental data collection and remediation tools, and lots more. This is a perfect opportunity for an enthusiastic, problem-solving individual interested in the full digital library lifecycle, from digitization to the creation of user-engagement tools and public programs. Passionate interest in the future of libraries a must.
The Metadata Services Unit supports the discovery, use, and innovative reuse of NYPL’s unique digital resources on the Web, particularly via its new Digital Collections platform (http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/) and other tools. MSU defines local standards, monitors metadata quality, and provides training and support to metadata creators across NYPL.
The Metadata Services Unit is part of the New York Public Library Labs (NYPL Labs). Based dually at the Library's landmark central branch on 42nd Street, and at its cutting-edge services center in Long Island City, NYPL Labs is an interdisciplinary team working to reformat and reposition the Library's knowledge for the Internet age. Labs combines core digital library capacities (digitization, metadata, permissions/reproductions etc.) with an award-winning tech/design and outreach team focused on deepening engagement with digital collections and data, and fostering new forms of research and creativity.
- Reporting to the Manager, Metadata Services Unit, this position:
- Creates, updates, and enhances metadata for the Library’s digital collections
- Coordinates metadata creation workflows for digitization projects in close collaboration with curators, Digital Imaging Unit staff, Rights staff, and metadata creators.
- Trains staff across NYPL on tools, policies, and procedures to ensure NYPL metadata complies with local and international standards and practices.
- Scripts batch processes for uploading and updating metadata in NYPL’s Metadata Management System.
- Manages workflows for ingesting locally scanned materials into HathiTrust and updating local ILS records with HathiTrust links.
- Contributes to local metadata policies, procedures, and standards as well as technical requirements for NYPL’s Metadata Management System, digital repository, and other tools.
- Performs other duties as required
- The ability to establish priorities, follow project timelines, and meet deadlines while working independently and with minimal supervision
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- The ability to identify opportunities for, and implement solutions to achieve, greater efficiency in a production environment
- Masters Degree required, ALA accredited MLIS preferred, Archival Studies Certificate a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well collaboratively and independently on complex projects involving diverse participants outside the direct work unit, and to meet project deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Experience interpreting and applying descriptive content standards (such as RDA, DACS, CCO, etc.) in a non-MARC metadata environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data and database structures, metadata standards, and encoding schema, including MARC21, Dublin Core, MODS, METS and EAD.
- Familiarity with Linked Data concepts and technologies.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, December 11, 2014 19:23 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC