Columbia University — New York City
0 other recent jobs
Created: December 11, 2014
DescriptionThe Columbia University Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Metadata Librarian.
The purpose of this position is to develop, document, maintain and apply standards and procedures for creating metadata used to manage, preserve, and provide access to digital content generated by the Libraries and other units within Information Services; to work with the Digital Programs Division and Technology Services Group to ensure and coordinate integration of digital metadata with local and national systems, and to provide full original cataloging for resources in a variety of languages, formats and media. The position also manages research publication metadata curation and identity management for the ColumbiaPARC system.
Reporting to the Metadata Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for:
1. Assisting in metadata creation, application and maintenance for digital content system-wide. This includes consultations, creating and maintaining documentation, data analysis, training, quality control and development of standards and best practices.
2. Cataloging (original and complex copy) materials in all formats and various languages and authority work using MODS, RDA, and other standards.
3. Participating in meetings of committees, task forces, and other groups involved in developing procedures and policies relating to e-book collection, management, and use; participating in strategic planning related to e-books.
4. Maintaining departmental websites, wikis and blogs and providing technical support for the Division.
5. Performing other duties as assigned.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the position. - In-depth knowledge of metadata format and content standards.
- Working knowledge of identities management systems, including ORCID, VIAF/ISNI.
- Experience in name authority work and disambiguation strategies.
- Working knowledge of cataloging standards and procedures (RDA, MODS, MARC 21, LCSH, FAST).
- Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Relevant experience in an academic environment.
- Experience in non-MARC metadata creation and curation and experience in providing technical services support for academic repositories and quality control for diverse projects.
Preferred Qualifications: - Familiarity with XSLT/XQuery and RDF/SPARQL.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizational units.
- Analytical skills and project management skills.
- Aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Understanding of the research and grant process.
Published: Thursday, December 11, 2014 19:22 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC