DescriptionThe Columbia University Libraries/Information Services invites nominations and applications for the position of Data Services Librarian in the Social Sciences Libraries. The Libraries seek an innovative, knowledgeable, and service-oriented professional to support research data services and emerging technologies for the social science disciplines. The successful applicant will be an adaptive problem-solver familiar with social science research methodologies and the practical application of statistical methods to a variety of research data types.
The Data Services Librarian is responsible for providing support for quantitative and qualitative data and data applications to faculty, students, and staff, and for identifying and assisting in the implementation of emergent technologies related to data services and social science research. As a member of the team providing high-end research and data support in the Digital Social Science Center, the incumbent will assist users in acquiring and finding, manipulating and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, including direct assistance in the use of statistical software. The incumbent will work with colleagues within the division and across the Libraries to provide coordinated support for research data services and technologies.
Reporting to the Data Services Coordinator, the Data Services Librarian will engage emerging technologies and explore innovative services to support new research methods and data applications in the social sciences. The incumbent will manage and support access to the Libraries' electronic data collection, including support for data catalog records. The incumbent will also participate on Libraries-wide task forces and working groups and will represent the organization at appropriate regional and national forums.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth, are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits.
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the position. - Advanced degree in a social science or related discipline such as economics, political science, statistics, library and information science, data science, etc., or an equivalent combination of education and experience manipulating and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Knowledge of social science research methodologies and experience using quantitative and qualitative data.
- Demonstrated experience using quantitative research tools such as SPSS, Stata, R. etc.
- Familiarity with web design and online services, including the ability to write effectively for the web.
- Aptitude for teaching and developing instructional content and documentation.
- Strong public service orientation.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience using qualitative research tools such as NVivo, Atlas.ti, etc.
- Familiarity with programming and markup languages.
- Understanding of research data management planning.
- Demonstrated experience working with library catalog records and metadata.
- Ability to work independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and function collaboratively in a rapidly changing team environment.
- Experience providing research support in an academic library setting.
- Demonstrated record of success designing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC