DescriptionJob Title Librarian- Digital Initiatives Archivist
Internal Title Digital Initiatives Archivist
Requisition Number 008355
Department Thomas Cooper Library
Campus USC Columbia
Expected Fill Date 03/01/2015
Job Posting Date 11-26-2014
Minimum Posting Period Ends 12-02-2014
Type of Position Permanent
Job Type Full-Time
Job Category Faculty
Job Description Digital Initiatives Archivist, South Carolina Political Collections, University of South Carolina Libraries. This position will be responsible for developing and implementing policies for the accessioning, appraisal, preservation, and description of, and access to, born-digital records collected by SCPC. The Digital Initiatives Archivist will also assist with outreach, including digitization of audiovisual materials for use in online and on-site interactive exhibits, and maintaining online presence of finding aids via ArchivesSpace.
The University of South Carolina, founded in 1801, enrolls approximately 23,300 undergraduate students and 6,400 graduate students on the Columbia campus. University Libraries contains more than 3.5 million volumes, 20 million manuscripts, 325,000 maps, and 944,000 government documents; and houses the University’s special collections. University Libraries is a member of LYRASIS, OCLC, the Association of South Eastern Research Libraries, the Association of Research Libraries, and the Center for Research Libraries.
- Develops procedures for and coordinates the transfer and appraisal of electronic records created by SCPC donors.
- Assists in the processing of manuscript collections by arranging and describing materials according to existing procedures, and particularly through the conversion, validation, and description of electronic records.
- Develops and assists in implementing SCPC’s digital outreach initiatives, including digitization of audiovisual materials for use in interactive exhibit platforms and by researchers.
- Trains and supervises student assistants, particularly in the work above.
- Participates in reading room and other reference service into SCPC holdings, including reference for our donors in their own collections. Participates in overall planning and policy development.
- Maintains awareness of trends and developments in the field.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. USC is an EOE.
Minimum Qualifications Required Qualifications:
ALA-accredited MLIS or other relevant Master’s degree; Experience processing complex modern manuscript collections; Demonstrated familiarity with data structure standards relevant to the archival control of digital materials. A successful background check.
Experience with ArchivesSpace or other archival management systems; Demonstrated knowledge of the creation and use of digital objects; Experience curating digital content in an archival repository; Experience with congressional or other political papers.
Note from Archives Gig: This is an excerpt of the full job description. Search for Requisition Number 008355 on the USC Jobs site for the complete announcement.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 01:30 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC