Engineering Librarian California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo, California
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo, California
The Robert E. Kennedy Library at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA, seeks an enterprising, collaborative, user-focused professional to join us in a tenure-track faculty position as Engineering Librarian. We are looking for someone who embraces the learn-by-doing culture of our institution, who will provide dynamic, comprehensive, and meaningful support to the College of Engineering through innovation and collaboration, and who understands the important roles that data, information and communication play in the future of engineering practice and scholarship.
The College of Engineering is the largest of Cal Poly's six colleges with eight academic departments and one academic program that together offer 13 Bachelor of Science degrees, 9 Masters of Science degrees, and 6 blended/joint bachelor and master's degree programs. The college currently educates over 5,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year and admission is extremely competitive. The college is recognized as one of the premier undergraduate engineering programs in the nation for its hands-on project- and design-based learning environment.
The Engineering Librarian will lead library outreach, instruction, and tailored research support focused on the unique needs of the students, faculty and staff of College of Engineering. The Engineering Librarian will build relationships with faculty, researchers, staff, and students in the college to facilitate access to information, to enhance course-integrated instruction in a variety of learning environments, and to build sustainable collections across media and platforms. The Engineering Librarian will facilitate connections between engineering and other library programs and services, specifically Data Services and Digital Scholarship Services, and participate in interdisciplinary, collaborative instruction and research support.
This position will be part of a team of librarians and staff who are committed to improving instructional effectiveness to advance student success. The applied research focus of our programs offers candidates the opportunity to extend their reach to the classroom as well as to projects and the lab. The successful candidate will be an effective teacher who uses creative pedagogical strategies, and can successfully support students in the classroom, virtually, and through extra-curricular activities. Candidates will have knowledge of collection development practices that support engineering curriculum and research. Candidates should be effective advocates for the library in the instructional and research programs of the college.
Candidates will demonstrate strategic and tactical capability, possess superior collaboration skills, organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate well across various audiences. Candidates will have a record of or the potential for successful scholarship activities. The successful candidate will have a record of being a highly collaborative self-starter
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
• MLS from an ALA accredited program or comparable academic library experience with relevant advanced degree
• Bachelor's or graduate degree in a relevant engineering or computational discipline, or, 1-2 years providing professional services to engineering disciplines in academic, corporate, or research library
• Experience in developing, delivering, and assessing instructional programs
• Experience evaluating, selecting, and maintaining print and digital library collections
• Familiarity with issues and trends in information literacy, particularly as it relates to STEM education
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent creative, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
• Ability to handle multiple projects and redefine priorities in a rapidly shifting environment
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a fluid organization
• Commitment to engage in research and scholarship, and ability to achieve promotion and tenure
• Ability to articulate a genuine enthusiasm for working with students and for this position
• Minimum of three years of relevant library experience
To apply, visit WWW.CALPOLYJOBS.ORG and complete a required online faculty application, applying to requisition #103469 (direct link to the job posting: www.calpolyjobs.org/applicants/Central?quickFind=164235 ). Please attach to your application a cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and unofficial transcripts. Please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses when completing application. Official transcripts will be required prior to appointment. Review Begin Date: January 12, 2015.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 23:41 UTC