Digitization Associate (term)
Created: November 17, 2014
Brooklyn Historical Society New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Brooklyn Historical Society is hiring a Digitization Associate who will report directly to the Head of Collection Management. This position will entail handling delicate and valuable materials, scanning and photography of those materials, billing, electronic delivery, digital asset management, and copyright research and assessment. While a technical position, it offers a variety of tasks and access to rare materials within a historical museum and research library.
• Complete staff- and researcher-requested digitization of collection items and distribute assets to internal users and external partners.
• Work closely with staff in departments across the institution to improve access to digital assets for daily use, special projects, and initiatives.
• Invoice and process payments for image orders for external researchers.
• Research copyright status for all requests.
• Attach metadata to all scans
• Provide day-to-day and long-range administrative oversight of digital assets.
• Update Past Perfect records with scanning information.
• Item-level cataloging using Past Perfect; collection-level record enhancement using Archivists’ Toolkit
• Special projects in support of archival and library collections.
• Blogging and Photo of the Week participation.
• Enrolled in or recent graduate from graduate school for Information & Library Science.
• Strong computer skills, including a complete working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Bridge software.
• High level of organizational skill with keen attention to detail.
• Copy photography experience preferred.
• Familiarity with Past Perfect Museum Software preferred.
• Basic knowledge of intellectual property issues preferred.
3 days/week or a total of 21 hours during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm for 1 year at a rate of $20/hour. Benefits include free admittance to NYC museums.
Those with an interest in history, background in photography, and formal training in library science/archival management should post a cover letter and resume to library(at)brooklynhistory.org. The subject line of the email should read: [last name] Digitization Associate
Position starts December 1, 2014.
The Brooklyn Historical Society is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC
How to apply
Published: Monday, November 17, 2014 13:48 UTC