The Web Services Unit at the University of Mississippi Libraries seeks applicants for the position of Web Services Librarian. This is an entry-level web related position for a service-oriented individual who possesses creativity, curiosity, and a good foundational web skill set. This position reports to the Head of Web Services; working as part of a team to design, develop and maintain all aspects of the University Libraries’ web presence and library web applications. The position is a twelve-month, tenure track, assistant professorship.
Essential Job Functions:
- The successful candidate should be creative, flexible, possess excellent communication skills and be willing to learn new technologies continually.
- Provide organization and ongoing maintenance for the University Libraries’ web presence which includes the main website, subject guides, exhibitions, digital collections and most other user interfaces for library applications.
- Conduct usability studies to determine if web services and applications are meeting the needs of our user groups.
- Assist with the creation and oversight of web policies and standards.
- Evaluate and respond to Web Services help desk calls and provide all levels of web related assistance.
- Assemble, distribute and evaluate site analytics.
- Collaborate with library staff to create and implement web-based library services including online tutorials, videos, podcasts, blogs, mobile applications and more.
- Create workshops to inform and train patrons and library staff on new web and emerging technologies.
- Provide proper planning and assistance for all types of data migration within web related projects.
- Work with all aspects of our content management system including content editing, updates and eventually development and deployment.
- Lead project teams as needed to complete web service initiatives.
- Create and maintain technical and project management documentation.
- As a faculty member, the Web Services Librarian is responsible for scholarly publishing and active library and Web related, professional service.
- Masters degree from ALA accredited institution by date of appointment
- Demonstrated commitment to service for library users
- Demonstrated, in depth knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Very good working knowledge of Photoshop and Office applications
- Working knowledge of controlled vocabulary and free tagging
- Working basic knowledge of ADA web compliance techniques
- Basic understanding and familiarity with a CMS such as Drupal, WordPress or Joomla.
- Familiarity with Unix, Linux, MacOSX and Windows operating systems
- Willingness to learn Drupal and work with it on a daily basis.
- Interest in working with Open Source software and their communities
- Strong interest and enthusiasm for user interface design
- Familiarity with current and emerging library technologies such as OPACs, link resolvers as well as search and discovery tools
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to meet tenure requirements and interest in ongoing professional development
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to serve as a team member
Special instructions to applicants
Applicants must include a letter of application, vita and the names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses of three current professional references (on the link entitled “Other 1”). In addition, applicants may electronically upload a one page web project document with descriptions of at least two specific web related projects detailing the applicant’s role on the project. Include links to the projects if available. This document can be uploaded on the link entitled “Other 2.”
Upon hire, faculty members of the University must provide an official transcript. Transcripts “issued to students” in a sealed envelope are not accepted for employment purposes. Request an official transcript to be mailed directly to Human Resources: University of Mississippi, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
Please check to see which documents (i.e., resume, CV, cover letter, list of references) are associated with this posting. Prior to applying for the position, prepare the electronic versions of these documents to upload or to “copy and paste” when prompted. You will not have the opportunity to attach them after you apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC