Data Control Specialist
Created: October 17, 2014
Stanford University Stanford0 other recent jobs
DescriptionCorrect and enhance metadata for library resources, including bibliographic, holdings, call number and item records, in order to provide accurate, complete, and up-to-date information regarding Stanford University Libraries' holdings. Perform copy cataloging for materials not yet in the database. Assist with special metadata projects arising from major materials moves from one library to another.
- Update and enhance MARC holdings records (according to local policies, based on ANSI standards) to reflect current location of transferred materials. Identify and/or correct errors in bibliographic, call number and item data discovered during the course of these updates.
- Create or update call number and item records (including online withdrawal, change of library and merging) that are not candidates for batch processes, to reflect SUL's current holdings. Identify anomalies that require further investigation.
- Perform copy cataloging for materials not yet in the database, including analyzing volumes of partially-analyzed monographic series.
- Assist with other metadata clean-up projects as needed.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- High level of proficiency using PC-based applications (e.g., email, internet, word processing, spreadsheets).
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Ability to adapt to changes in assignments, procedures and technology.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member, under pressure, in a highly demanding environment.
- Good keyboard skills and physical tolerance for at least six hours per day of keying.
- Two-year college degree or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of cataloging functions and MARC21 formats with the ability to effectively search bibliographic utilities (e.g., OCLC WorldCat).
- Four-year college degree or equivalent.
- One or more recent years of related experience in an academic library setting.
- Knowledge of at least one modern foreign language in addition to English.
- Proficiency in using Symphony WorkFlows of the SirsiDynix integrated library system.
Contact: Stanford University
Online App. Form: https://stanford.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=64735&src=JB-1 0023
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC