DescriptionInformation Technology Technical Associate (Linux Systems Administrator) - University Library (Job ID #45428)
Department: University Library, Systems
Salary Range: Minimum Salary: $65,000.00
Hours Per Week: M-F 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m.
University of Illinois at Chicago Library, Illinois
The UIC University Library seeks an experienced Linux Systems Administrator (IT Technical Associate) to lead the Desktop and Linux Systems Administration unit within the Library IT Division.
As the Library’s senior systems administrator, the Linux Systems Administrator contributes to the overall development of the Library’s Web and digital library infrastructure and will help plan, select, and implement technologies to support the Library’s goal of anytime anywhere access to UIC’s scholarly information. This person will lead the unit in providing excellent customer service to UIC and University Library colleagues.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
As the Library’s senior systems administrator, support the Library’s goal to provide quality resources and expertise to students, faculty and staff by;
- Leading the Desktop and Server Administration Unit and supervise the work of the Assistant Systems Administrator, graduate assistant(s), and / or student assistant(s). Provide technical leadership and mentoring
- Deploy and maintain desktop computing systems in a mixed environment (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve system issues with servers, networks, and storage.
- Lead software upgrade and hardware deployment projects
- Maintain and monitor system access controls and maintain system security in accordance with University policies
- Liaise with campus IT organizations and governance bodies
- Maintain and write systems documentation
- Maintain knowledge of new and emerging technologies and techniques to propose and recommend new methods to improve manageability and reliability.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Install, patch, and maintain server, operating systems, services (e.g., Linux, Apache, MySQL)
- Install, patch and maintain application packages (e.g., Open Journal System, DSpace, Soir, Fedora)
- Write and maintain shell scripts
Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
- progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession
- college course work in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
- 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years
- Demonstrated experience as a Linux Systems Administrator.
- Demonstrated experience administering Web servers and / or related systems such as Apache, Tomcat, RDBMS (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (degree in computer science, information science, or closely related field preferred)
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a Linux Systems Administrator
- Advanced degree in computer science, library and information science, or closely related field is preferred
- Experience performing or leading desktop systems (microcomputer) administration
- A minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience implementing and supporting open source applications
- Demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot technical problems, isolate problem causes, and implement solutions
- Experience in programming languages appropriate to support systems administration tasks (e.g., Perl, shell scripting, Python, Java, C/C++)
- Experience using an endpoint management tool such as SCCM, Spiceworks, AbsoluteManage, or Dell KACE preferred
- Experience with TCP/IP network design and configuration. Experience working with authorization / authentication mechanisms such as LDAP, CAS, Shibboleth preferred.
- Experience using a configuration management tool (e.g., git, subversion) preferred
- Experience working in the context of a software development methodology preferred
- Experience performing systems resource management and capacity planning preferred
- Experience with DSpace, Solr, and/or Fedora preferred
- Experience managing and transforming data in multiple formats preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups, both face to face and remotely
- Excellent interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment; demonstrated ability to interact effectively with stakeholders and to provide excellent user-centered service in a in a research-intensive, fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education environment
To Apply: For fullest consideration, please complete an online application by clicking the Apply for Position button below AND submit an Exam Request for CB7677 Information Technology Technical Associate (Linux Systems Administrator) - University Library
If a degree or college coursework is required you must provide official transcripts.
Transcripts/Licenses/Certifications MUST be uploaded electronically to your online application through the "Documents" page on the Civil Service Employment Application (page 4). Be sure to select the appropriate document type before uploading the document.
If your educational institution doesn’t provide electronic transcripts they must mail the transcripts to:
University of Illinois at Chicago
Recruitment and Staffing
Human Resources Building Room 109
715 S. Wood Street M/C 862
Chicago IL 60612
Attn:CB7677 Information Technology Technical Associate (Linux Systems Administrator) - University Library - HR
UIC is an EOE/AA/M/F/Disabled/Veteran Apply by: Sunday, October 26, 2014. Please see the full position description and job requirements at: https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=45428
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC