DescriptionTitle: Senior Web Developer (Half-time with benefits on a pro-rated basis)
Institution: University of Maryland, Baltimore, Health Sciences & Human Services Library
The Senior Web Developer is responsible for the design, development, documentation, and implementation of Web-based applications to support the library’s essential functions and services. S/he will manage the entire process of application development from pre-project planning through design and development to testing, deployment, and user interaction at all stages. This position reports to the Associate Director for Library Applications and Knowledge Systems. The positon is part of a highly collaborative team which includes a front-end Web developer, network engineer, emerging technologies librarian, instructional technology specialist, and technology support staff.
The Senior Web Developer will work on a variety of projects and initiatives to enhance user experience and improve workflows within the library. These include: integration of mobile technologies, integration of a credit card payment solution into the library’s integrated library system, development of a Web-based application that consumes and mashes up content from multiple external data sources, customization and enhancement of a third-party discovery layer product implemented on top of the library catalog, creation of a Web-based application that visualizes the library’s statistical data, and installation and customization of open-source applications that facilitate the library’s public services or internal operations. The successful candidate will be willing and able to independently research, learn, and quickly obtain new skills as well as keeping existing skills up-to-date. Strong analytical, communications, interpersonal, and collaboration skills will also be crucial to the success of the incumbent.
This position offers a great work/life balance, flexible work hours, and opportunities to be part of meaningful projects that impact the information landscape in higher education and health sciences research. The Senior Web Developer may attend and share project work at conferences and release project code as open-source when appropriate. This is a half-time (50% FTE) professional position with benefits on a prorated basis. A remote work arrangement may be considered.
• Collaborates with the front-end Web designer on backend-programming needs including relational database design and development in MySQL or MS-SQL. Connects them with Web applications
• Manages and supports content management systems and develops custom system modules as needed.
• Identifies and addresses browser, client server, and Internet systems specific architecture compatibility issues. Addresses HTML and scripting compatibility and integration issues between different browsers and computing platforms utilizing various design methodologies and object-oriented environments.
• Conducts the setup, installation, customization, and management of open-source or proprietary software and applications (including CMS).
• Translates functional requirements for an application into technical design and development projects.
• Develops and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces coding standards.
• Writes and updates proper documentation for applications and systems developed or implemented and customized.
• Makes recommendations for resources within budget and input in project schedule.
• Recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
• Ensures the stability and security of existing applications and contributes to ongoing improvements.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field. (Master’s degree and additional certification can be used to substitute for relevant experience). Computer Science or Information Systems curriculum preferred.
• Or equivalent of seven (7) years combination of formal information systems & web education/training and/or web experience with knowledge of at least two (2) structured programming languages and relational database management systems.
• Demonstrated proficiency in object-oriented programming languages such as PHP, Ruby, or Python.
• Solid understanding and experience with Web application development and version control systems such as Git or SVN.
• Experience in Web development frameworks such as CakePHP, RoR, or Django
• Experience in mobile app development (either native or in-browser)
• Previous work experience at libraries or other units in higher education or research institutions performing similar job functions.
• Experience in conducting usability testing and UX studies
• Experience in visualization tools and libraries such as D3.js or Google Visualization API.
• Experience with SharePoint or .NET programming.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to apply consultative skills to assess and evaluate user needs and communicate technology alternatives and solutions.
• Ability to develop application implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes.
• Ability to integrate all systems including operating systems, applications, networks, and databases, as well as knowledge of distributed processing technology
• Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis.
• Ability to identify hardware/software interface problems.
• Ability to support users and assist them in the use of web tool and technologies.
• Familiarity with existing campus-defined systems, applications, and standards.
• Knowledge of database design concepts.
• Knowledge of sophisticated web technologies and database engine characteristics, structures, and programming tools.
• Knowledge of system/equipment capability, design restrictions, and security requirements.
• Must be able to continuously monitor industry trends, technologies, and standards and be able to research, recommend, and apply new technologies as they emerge.
• Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of web design and development.
Salary range: Commensurate with education and experience
Posting date: 10/03/14
Filing deadline: This position will be open until filled
To apply: https://www.healthcaresource.com/umbaltimore/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.jobDetails&template=dsp_job_details.cfm&cJobId=626012
UMB HS/HSL: http://www.hshsl.umaryland.edu
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Published: Friday, October 3, 2014 17:21 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC