DescriptionZepheira LLC ( zepheira.com ) is a world leader in assisting organizations to use the Web to connect, visualize, analyze, and augment data assets across system boundaries. We employ expertise in Semantic Web standards, Linked Data principles, Web architecture, and social engineering to solve information management problems.
Zepheira helps businesses link fragmented data sources into easily searched wholes (MIT Technology Review)
The following assistance is needed for an individual to help the dynamic growth of this industry-leading organization. Relocation is not needed! The duties can be performed from your home.
This is a contract position and compensation is commensurate with your experience and successes.
Position Title: Systems Administrator
Zepheira LLC is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to augment our operational team. The ideal person will possess:
- At least five years' experience with systems administration small enterprise UNIX target platforms, and particularly Linux (Debian/Ubuntu preferred).
- Experience with Chef environment.
- Experience with management of systems monitoring of multiple servers.
- Experience communicating systems details with other employees in the company in both technical and non-technical roles, including incident reports and systems improvement plans.
- Experience working under a formal project management is preferred.
- Experience with most aspects of operating system administration, including configuration of mail systems, Web systems, system installation and configuration, systems security, installing third-party software, execution of deployment scripts for internally developed applications.
- Ability to write shell scripts, and edit or manage common configuration file formats.
- Preference for 4-year degree, in a technical field, such as engineering or computer science.
- Independent problem-solving skills and self-direction, ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- We place a significant emphasis on flexible, modern software engineering practices, creation, contribution, and use of FLOSS software, and Internet and data standards.
- Install, maintain, and upgrade servers.
- Constant attention to business continuity, including systems backups (with restoration tests) and continuity at the systems level in case of arrival and departure of employees.
- Take continuous measures to ensure that server data is secure from unauthorized access and to detect any breaches in access.
- Keep up with systems requests and general instructions for new responsibilities from set channels, including e-mail, chat, and ticketing systems.
- Initiating new responsibilities as discovered through independent initiative while helping to plan for the future of the site/network.
- Evaluate and/or recommend systems purchases; has strong influence on purchasing process.
- Manage vendor relationships for systems-related requirements.
- Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
- Work closely with project manager for all assigned projects performing duties as required.
- Respond promptly and professionally to systems requests and assigned bug reports.
- UNIX administration, Debian/Ubuntu Linux in particular
- Chef-based systems management
- Business continuity, especially backup and recovery
- Communication skills
- Chef cookbook creation and community engagement
How to apply
Published: Thursday, October 2, 2014 19:31 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC